Playing In A Cottage

Lawrence Reeves

Thinking back to last summer in the Catskills, when the concertina classes of Tim Collins and Gearóid ÓhAllmhuráin met in a replica cottage on the grounds. We had Chris Droney as our guest, and we discussed growing up in the cottage, and how music and dance happened in them. I played along with the three of them for a figure danced by Chris's family on the floor. What an amazing experience, but now thinking to myself ( after my wife told me to knock it off last night) about a Jeffries, or Crabb being played for house dances. The volume of a big voiced box, or melodeon, specially if coupled with another instrument must have been darn loud.

Edited by Lawrence Reeves

I remember the early Rosbif practices at Mel Stevens House in Brighton down in his basement.Mel on French Bagpipes,Richard Smith on Bombard,Helen Cello,and Keith on Viola all in a room no larger that 10 feet square.It is no wonder that the upper register of my hearing has been effected.

Al

It's worse if you have to amplify everything up to cope with a full drum kit!

Blind Panic were Drums kit, bass guitar, rhythm guitar, electric guitar/electric mandolin and me on concertinas through effects pedals. My ears were still ringing the next morning after some practices.

Robin Madge