Bellows Papers

Possibly a daft question, but not as daft as not asking it for fear of feeling daft.

What are bellows papers for? Or are they simply decorative?

I didn't pay much attention to this when ordering my concertina, and I have plain black papers on black leather bellows. So if decoration is their only function, it may not have been an extra 20 quid or so well spent!

Do they have some sort of a protective role, or do they stop the leather folds sticking together if the concertina is stored for a long time? Or what?

Guest Mick Diles
Possibly a daft question, but not as daft as not asking it for fear of feeling daft.

Every question is OK. Only answers can be stupid (including mine :( ).

As far as I know... bellow papers are only for decoration!

Every question is OK. Only answers can be stupid (including mine :( ).

As far as I know... bellow papers are only for decoration!

Decoration yes, corporate branding yes, but also to stop free edges of gussets and hinges being rubbed and lifted in use.

Leather panel covers are better than papers, but not if the leather panel covers are cut in the butterfly style which also incorporate the outer valley hinge.

Dave E

Thanks. So rubbing a gusset is a bad thing, right?
maybe not in the privacy of your own home ;)
... it could be the title of some haunting slip jig:

Rub the Gusset!

Henk,

And I think I know the name of a slip jig that might follow after it very well ... a favourite of Willie Clancy and Bobby Casey's. :rolleyes:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

better than papers, but not if the leather panel covers are cut in the butterfly style which also incorporate the outer valley hinge.

Dave E

Why? it is one less edge to telegraph through. Nothing against leather panel covers, but I am not sure what the problem is with butterflies if they are done properly.

Dana

• 2 weeks later...