Are There Free On-line Lessons

mutepointe

does anyone know of any on-line free resources to learn to play?

Hi mutepointe

Don't want to sound like a wise guy, but could I ask what did you have in mind? Play the instrument, what kind? Play the music, what flavor? Find tutor/tuition books? Find music? Poker? Games? Etc.

Do you play an instrument now? Can you read music or play by ear? What part of the world do you live in?

Could you expand the question with a little more specifics?

Leo

Edited by Leo

does anyone know of any on-line free resources to learn to play?
Could you expand the question with a little more specifics?

Randy, since you only have four posts so far, I checked them for more information:

You have a 20-button Bastari, which would be an anglo, so I presume that's what you want to learn to play. But Leo's questions -- aside from the tongue-in-cheek quip about poker -- are relevant.

What kind of music do you want to play? Irish tunes? Tunes with chordal accompaniment? Hymns? Other songs? ("Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" and "The Last Cigar" might be appropriate. :D)

Would you be helped by something showing where where to find various chords on your instrument, or are chords something you need to learn about?

Etc.

Others know better than I what online resources there are for your instrument, though I think there aren't many. But the more information you give about your abilities, wishes, and needs, the more likely someone will be able to point you toward something useful. And in the meantime, your concertina should be well suited to the "experiment and have fun" school of learning. :)

Hey Folks:

Thanks for your interest in helping. Since you can't read my mind, I'll answer your questions.

Yes, I do want to learn to play a 20 button Bastari. I do have a background in music. My instruments (in order of learning, not competency) are keyboard, 6 & 12-string acoustic guitar, harmonica, pennywhistle, irish flute, & boehm flute. My sister-in-law taught me to play the piano when I was in high school, my wife taught me to play the guitar, I learned everything else over the internet. I was never in band in school and have been a folk musician in church my whole adult life. My big talent with music is sight tranposing, so even though my concertina is limited in keys, that won't stop me. Until I learned all the wind instruments, I was strictly a sheet music person. I was completely suprised when I first picked out a tune on the pennywhistle and am working that into my skills. I keep a pennywhistle and a harmonica in my car and make the best out of a traffic jam or drive through wait.

I live in West Virginia. The county library system doesn't have any books on playing the concertina. I can afford to buy a book to learn the basics. If that's what I would have to do, I would sure like some advice on which book to select to self-teach. I would like a book that is like those learn to play the piano primers like the Thompson seriers. I also learned piano from the different colored books that started on "A" and went on down the alphabet. The series went further than I did. The cost of a tutor, I imagine, is completely out of the question.

I would like to learn folk tunes, church music, pop, and classical. I like the sound of irish instruments but other than slow airs, I am not particular fond of irish music. I have a picture of the notes on the buttons and noticed that chords are all over the place. I am a big believer in the school of "experiment and have fun" but I think the concertina is going to be a bit more complicated than the harmonica and pennywhistle. I think it would be easier if my eyes were like the eyes of a hammerhead shark so that I could see what both of my hands were doing.

Baking soda got rid of 50% of the smell. I can't believe someone did that to an instrument.

Hey Folks:

Thanks for your interest in helping. Since you can't read my mind, I'll answer your questions.

Yes, I do want to learn to play a 20 button Bastari. I do have a background in music. My instruments [include]... harmonica, ... I keep a ... a harmonica in my car and make the best out of a traffic jam or drive through wait.

... I would like to learn folk tunes, church music, pop, and classical. ... I have a picture of the notes on the buttons and noticed that chords are all over the place. I am a big believer in the school of "experiment and have fun" but I think the concertina is going to be a bit more complicated than the harmonica ...

What you have in your Bastari is two harmonicas. Each row of buttons represents one harmonica split between your two hands with low notes on the left and high ones on the right. The two rows are one fifth apart. Hopefully this information, added to your "experiment and have fun" attitude, will get you started. This link will give you lots of information about books (and other resources) to learn from.

Let us know how you get on!

Samantha

Hi mutepointe

Here are a couple of internet resources for learning an anglo concertina. Hope they help.

http://www.concertina.com/instruction/index.htm

http://www.concertina.com/anglo/index.htm

http://www.filmsonglass.co.uk/concertina-index.htm

http://www.etanbenami.com/Anglo%20Concertina%20Tutor/

Anglo Concertina., Description and playing hints and tips

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6509

Thanks

Leo :)