New Rochelle And...?

terrier

Hi everybody,

I just got a new Rochelle from a dealer in Oakland, not the button box. I sent it back to fix a stuck note. And pointed out that I could hear a kind of rattling or buzzing of a few keys between the push and pull. I was told that it's just because it a lesser expensive concertina... But my starter was a Chinese online and it's never had this problem.

Is this typical? Or part of the break-in? I want to give my heart over to it. And I'm holding back. Any comments? I tried to get it 1st from the Button Box but they were out of stock. A Christmas present from my husband.

Thanks,

Happy Holidays.

It sounds to me that some of the reeds have come out, or are loose in the reed pan and this has happened during transit.Even a slight knock will cause this to happen.Send it back again for repair or get your money back and wait on the Button Box who check over all instruments before despatch.

Al

I own a Rochelle and purchased it from Wim directly. Button Box or Bob Tedrow are the best for follow up service and help on that side of the Atlantic (Live in the UK). Send Wim or Bob a message or David Elliot and they will be able to help. Wim's contact website is www.concertinaconnection.com and I am very sure he will do what is reasonable with aiding you (short of giving refund as you didn't buy it through him and would be unjust to ask such). Both he and his lady wife are very helpful and considerate people.

The Rochelle does have some break in time (about a month and a half playing once a day to every other for about an hour to an hour and a half). One of the levers likes getting a bit wonky at times but that started after my "wonderful" daughter was able to climb up and pull it off a table (yes i lost a few hairs that day both for worry with the Rochelle and that my daughter couyld cause one to fall on top of her [she is currently 15months old])

So that is my suggestions and happy playing. though you might want to tell Wim about this dealership as if they are going to give crappy follow up service the bad rap is not worth it. Wim moved factories in China in order to keep the quality up and improve upon it. There are alot of Chinese nightmares out there (We own a English 30 button that i will be changing the reeds out to european grade as the rest of the structure is quite air tight, the only other change will be to put some covering on the pinky rest so as to decrease the fatigue that my wife gets from that).

Good Luck and good playing.

Michael

Terrier:

There is nothing the dealer can do about the rattling/buzzing you hear sometimes in a new Rochelle/Jackie or Jack. Actually, our dealer in Oakland has a lot of experienced with accordion reeded instruments.

There are 2 different ‘rattles’ that can occur in these instruments. The good news is that both rattles will disappear all by themselves when the instrument is played in.

The first one is caused by the tip of the reed touching the side of the aluminum frame, which is quite common in free reed instruments. This is cause by tension in the reed frame/ reed block, which can push the reed slightly out of alignment. Common causes are humidity and temperature changes (transport, seasonal changes, etc.). The wax/resin mixture used to mount the reeds functions as a buffer for this, but is not always able to completely absorb the tension. The rattle disappears when the tension is reduced (when the instrument adjusts to the local humidity) and the reed is centered again, or when the (steel) reed just ‘removes’ the part of aluminum that is in its way…

The other rattle that you can hear sometimes is resonance in the action. Although these instruments have riveted actions, the lever/key connection is not bushed. The reed blocks are mounted directly on the opposite side of the action board. The reeds (especially the lower ones) can generate so much vibration, that the keys ‘bounce’ on the levers. For some reason this rattle also seems to disappear all by itself over time.

If you want to, you could install bushings in the action. The key hole/lever clearance is 0.1mm/ 0.004 inch. If you would increase this to 1.5mm (0.06”) you could install 1mm bushing felt.

As always, if you have any problems or questions about your Rochelle/Jackie/Jack, please contact us or the dealer you bought it from before ‘fixing’ the problem yourself. So far I have never encountered a problem with these instruments that was not fixable with email instructions and the RJJ toolbox: 1 screw driver, 1 paring knife and 1 lighter..

Wim Wakker

Concertina Connection v.o.f.

Terrier:

There is nothing the dealer can do about the rattling/buzzing you hear sometimes in a new Rochelle/Jackie or Jack. Actually, our dealer in Oakland has a lot of experienced with accordion reeded instruments.

There are 2 different ‘rattles’ that can occur in these instruments. The good news is that both rattles will disappear all by themselves when the instrument is played in.

The first one is caused by the tip of the reed touching the side of the aluminum frame, which is quite common in free reed instruments. This is cause by tension in the reed frame/ reed block, which can push the reed slightly out of alignment. Common causes are humidity and temperature changes (transport, seasonal changes, etc.). The wax/resin mixture used to mount the reeds functions as a buffer for this, but is not always able to completely absorb the tension. The rattle disappears when the tension is reduced (when the instrument adjusts to the local humidity) and the reed is centered again, or when the (steel) reed just ‘removes’ the part of aluminum that is in its way…

The other rattle that you can hear sometimes is resonance in the action. Although these instruments have riveted actions, the lever/key connection is not bushed. The reed blocks are mounted directly on the opposite side of the action board. The reeds (especially the lower ones) can generate so much vibration, that the keys ‘bounce’ on the levers. For some reason this rattle also seems to disappear all by itself over time.

If you want to, you could install bushings in the action. The key hole/lever clearance is 0.1mm/ 0.004 inch. If you would increase this to 1.5mm (0.06”) you could install 1mm bushing felt.

As always, if you have any problems or questions about your Rochelle/Jackie/Jack, please contact us or the dealer you bought it from before ‘fixing’ the problem yourself. So far I have never encountered a problem with these instruments that was not fixable with email instructions and the RJJ toolbox: 1 screw driver, 1 paring knife and 1 lighter..

Wim Wakker

Concertina Connection v.o.f.

• 5 weeks later...

I had this "problem" too (on the L4 and L5 of the C row, and a little different on the R1 of the C row). On the left, i'm almost sure it's a problem with aluminium frame.

On the right, the sound is not exactly (i'm not sure) the same sounds. Maybe a probleme of humidity. And the push note is perfect, only the Draw is a little bit difficult to produce and sounds not normal. I think it's a problem of humidity because the sounds make me think about water on the reed (i never heard a reed with water on it, but I guess).

I received my Rochelle two weeks. How long time before the problem disapear ? It's only for know when I had to throw in the panic :lol:

Thanks a lot,

I had this on mine. It happened on all three identical G notes on the right hand (2 push, 1 pull, which is one note on each of the three rows) and so I assumed it was something resonating. I noticed it less after I stopped worrying about it. :0)

I had this on mine. It happened on all three identical G notes on the right hand (2 push, 1 pull, which is one note on each of the three rows) and so I assumed it was something resonating. I noticed it less after I stopped worrying about it. :0)

It's very annoying, this buzzing, but the funny part is that only the player is likely to hear it. I wonder, if we can hear with our fingers, that pick up vibration.

Is the dealer in Oakland Kimric Smythe? Or there is another one I don't know about?