Jeffries G/d For Sale

David Levine

Jeffries G/D For Sale.

I am selling my 30 button G/D Jeffries in original, unrestored condition.

My guess is that it dates to about 1890-1900. It is marked “C. Jeffries / Maker” on the right finger plate and one side of each end. Every note plays clearly and in tune, the reeds are all in good condition, and the original bellows are sound – excepting one leather patch on the bottom that I show in a photo. Happily the bellows look much better in real life than under the harsh glare of the photo-flash. It has a musty odor from being stored in the closet for 20 years. It comes with a good quality hard-case.

The instrument has been taken apart and vetted by Mark Davies, who has pronounced it a playable, sound instrument. He can be reached for comment. No broken bolts, no warped reed pans, no bogus reeds. To my knowledge there will be no nasty surprises with this instrument.

The price is £4,000 or $8,400 or €5,800. This does not include postage, Paypal fees or fees for a bank transfer or money exchange. I live in Ireland and I am happy to offer references or to have people call me regarding the concertina.

I will be happy to email additional pictures to people who ask for them.

(Edited to remove pictures)

Edited by cocusflute

I am selling my 30 button G/D Jeffries in original, unrestored condition.

I should say I'm not in the market, since I already have a wondrous Jeffries G/D, restored by the Dippers. I just wanted to say that if what you say is correct then this is a real rarity. Most old G/Ds you see nowadays are retuned Ab/Eb concertinas (as indeed is mine). I hope it sells well.

Chris

I notice from one photo that its had new pads, so it could also have been re-tuned.

I think 7 fold bellows are also quite unusual for a Jeffries of this age and I don't think they are original.

None of this diminishes what is quite obviously a fine, fine concertina.

Like yourself, Chris,I love it but don't need it.

Robin

I just took the concertina apart again to take some more pictures for a player in the UK. These pictures are available to anybody who wishes to see them. I discovered a crack running through the left hand button-plate. The crack shows an old repair and is totally stable. The plate is neither warped nor leaky. This should not present any problems down the road.

The reeds are indeed original G/D reeds. They are so marked. As Mark Davies notes, "As far as I could see from close examination of the reeds the Jeffries has not been re-tuned from another key.There is some slight filing to the reeds which appears to have been done when it was re-tuned from old to new pitch."

About half of the pads were replaced by The Button Box around 1990 and the rest are functional but old. The instrument is perfectly playable as is. The sound is bright and clear and it plays in tune.

Thanks for the kind words.

Edited by cocusflute

Another day or so and then the Jeffries is off to Ebayville. Hopefully to find a wider audience.

I am of course open to offers before I do this.

I'd love to avoid EBay, having just had the auction of a flute I was offering ruined by a scammer.