Question About Price

Debby

I don't know much about concertinas except from reading off internet articles. I am trying to purchase one for playing polkas. I found a Stagi Chemnitzer, used, 76 key, good working condition, with hard case with the price of $325.00 I looked at it and it looks in good condition. The store that is selling it is Italian owned and says it is in good working order. Is this a good one to buy? Is this a fair price? I am buying it for my brother who wants to learn how to play polkas on a concertina. I am acting as his purchasing agent. He is trusting my judgement on which one to get, so I want to be sure this is the right type and expected price. Thank you, Debby

This is tough -- to teach someone how to assess the condition of an instrument using only typed instructions. Of course one can flex the bellows and try all the buttons to see if every note sounds. But two issues are 1) Are the reeds in tune? If you are a musician you can tell by the sound. You may be able to take the dealer's word on this, depending on their reputation. 2) Is it airtight enough to play easily? An instrument can appear to work to a non player but if too much air leaks out (not unusual with old Stagis) they are a lot of work to play. If these two issues are not negative I would guess that is a fair price. Note that I am not a Chemnitzer player.

What part of the world are you in? Maybe someone here can advise you locally.

:) (Ken, thank you for responding.) I am from Germantown, Wisconsin. The store is in Menomonee Falls Wisconsin. It is a family store (Italian) and I was very impressed with the people I met. I will ask the the store owner the questions that you posted. I also will ask how old is the instrument (does that matter?). Probably as you implied, the better question is, is it in good working order. From what I read about Stagi, the reeds are steel accordian reeds instead of concertina reeds. Is that an issue? Do all Chemnitzer concertinas have steel accordian reeds? Do all Stagi's have steel accordian reeds? Are Gem and Herringbone top of the line Chemnitzer concertinas? I see from what I read they are very expensive. I have read many articles, and as you can see, I have a lot of facts but I haven't gotten the big picture yet. Maybe someone can answer these questions. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

I don't think there's much chemnitzer expertise among the members of Concertina.net.

Are you familiar with www.concertinamusic.com? It's a web site devoted to chemnitzers, with lots of information, classified ads, and an invitation to contact the site owner with questions about chemnitzers. I don't want to discourage questions about any types of concertinas on this Forum, but, realistically, you'll probably get more help there.

I'm assuming that the store you have seen the concertina in is Baldoni's. If this is the case you can rest assured that they are a reputable and respected dealer, at least in the accordion/chemnitzer world.

As for your other questions, all Chemnitzers should have accordion style reeds and all Stagis (of any type) that I am aware of have accordion reeds.

You are right in the heart of chemnitzer land and shouldn't have any trouble finding a wide selection of instruments available to you if you want to take a bit more time to search. I certainly wouldn't jump at the first one you've found. There are literally hundreds, perhaps thousands, of chemnitzer players in the Wisconsin/Minnesota/N. Illinois area.

There is a bar/pub/tavern in Milwaukee called the Concertina Bar. It might be called "Altenburgs" Concertina Bar. There is also Star Concertina in Chicago, I believe they closed their retail space but are still listed in phone book for concertina sales.

Also be aware that if you ask most people in the midwest for a chemnitzer, they'll ask "What's that??". In the midwest a chemnitzer is a concertina.

Good Luck

Debbie,

I am an Anglo Player and do not know much about Chemnitzers, aklso recently I bought one from the ebay in Germany.

About Stagi I know a bit more. Well better siad about the actual instruments.

Good enough to start with and enjoy a lot for uyears. Depending on money it mauy be a good start, in condtion that the instrtument jhas good bellows,is airtight and in tune.

Actually I know _Stagis only wiuth steel Accordeon reeds. Depending on porice range cheaper or better ones.

Myh Chemnitzer is made by a famous and reputated maker in Eastyern Germany called Succesors of C F. Lange, suyccesor of Uhlig, I do not in which year, but possibly in the 20ies or 30ies has 39 buttons = 78 voices, two reeds per vopice

is in excelent condition, bellows as new.

I bought it for about 300 US$ and spent another 90 Euros for Reparis and Tuning.

There are two Homepages one in German language, I don't know if you can use it.

The other one is to be ffound in this Honpage as a link. I do not rember at the moment the address.

I am ready to find it for you if you could not, but you should have it easier than me sionce IU suffer from a low sight problem.

There you will fin a FAQ, which wikll answer all your questions.

Let me know if I could help.

Kind regards

Joachim Delp

P.D. On the German ebay www.ebay.de you will fiond offers, I could help sending you a list of offers with translatiuons.

I also know some German Maker, making new ones for about 2500 Euros

I read somewhere that new amrican Chemnitzers can cost upo to 7000 Us$

Debbie,

Doubting, but nevertheless :

I am actually not using much my Chemnitzer, but don't relly thiunk to sell it, since it is beuatiful and from time to time I enjoy it.

Actually I am concentrating very much on my anglo playing.

If you give your phone number and we could speak, I might offer you my instrument as a loan for learning until uyou know what you wish to buy. in condition that the instrument will be well treated and you p``ay for transport back and forwar, which can amount one way about 50 US$.

Kind regards

Joachim Delp

Thank you for all the valuable advice.

Michael- I already sent two emails with questions to the web site you gave. Hopefully, I'll get a response. Thanks for sending the address.

Sandy - I will visit that bar in Milwaukee, to see what I can find out.

Joachim - your offer of loaning your Chemnitzer concertina is very generous. Thank you. But, I believe that we don't want to take a chance with the shipping (I heard that shipping is hard on concertinas). Also, we would be too afraid of handling someone else's instrument. But thank you for the offer anyway!! You surprised me with your generosity.

Ken - I found an expert at Lincoln Music House in Milw, who has kindly said that he is willing to check out any concertina before I buy it. Thank you for suggesting this.

One more question for anyone, is the Italian Stagi Chemnitzer brand the same as the Italian Strati Chemnitzer brand? Are they made the same? Are they two different names for the same company? I posed this question on the Chemnitzer web site, but did not get an response yet. Maybe one of you experts know this answer right away. Thanks for your help.

Debby

:D :D I just wanted to say thank you for all your help in answering my questions. I got in contact with Ken from the Chemnitzer Web site, and he answered all my questions. Now I know what type and brand to look for. So, thank you for all your help. It was fun talking with all of you. I am also going to go check out the Concertina Bar - Altenburg, located in Milwaukee WI. It is still going strong. I spoke with Art, the owner. He owns 59 concertinas, and has 35 on display. Every Thursday night he has a Jamboree Night, where concertina musicians play. So I will have a fun night checking that out.

Take care,

Debby

I'm assuming that the store you have seen the concertina in is Baldoni's. If this is the case you can rest assured that they are a reputable and respected dealer, at least in the accordion/chemnitzer world.

As for your other questions, all Chemnitzers should have accordion style reeds and all Stagis (of any type) that I am aware of have accordion reeds.

You are right in the heart of chemnitzer land and shouldn't have any trouble finding a wide selection of instruments available to you if you want to take a bit more time to search. I certainly wouldn't jump at the first one you've found. There are literally hundreds, perhaps thousands, of chemnitzer players in the Wisconsin/Minnesota/N. Illinois area.

There is a bar/pub/tavern in Milwaukee called the Concertina Bar. It might be called "Altenburgs" Concertina Bar. There is also Star Concertina in Chicago, I believe they closed their retail space but are still listed in phone book for concertina sales.

Also be aware that if you ask most people in the midwest for a chemnitzer, they'll ask "What's that??". In the midwest a chemnitzer is a concertina.

Good Luck

Is that true of Bastari as well? I've recently bought an older used Bastari and the difference in tone between that and my 3-year old Stagi are so remarkable as to cause me to ask this question.

Rob