Recording Devices..............again Please!

Howdy:

Now that NESI has ended, I'm still somewhat in the dark about all the little recording devices I observed in use while there.

For some reason my non-technical mind can't decipher what's what.

I'd love to have something small that can fit in my concertina case andhas excellent sound quality.

It would also be great to be able to load it into my computer and use one of the slowdown (speedup?) programs that are availabale for free on the web.

Is MP3 the way to go? Mini Disc?. Cassette recorder? Reel to Reel?

Specific devices mentioned would be helpful.

Any and all suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Perry Werner

My experiences? I'm an Edirol man! It is small, light - the software has been updated (=improved since last year).

I've used it at Eigse Mrs. Crotty twice - great results.

Move files with USB or with card reader. No nonsense, highly recommended.

/Henrik

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am using the Zoom H4, my experiences may be similar to those of frogspawn.

It records the music as is, with superb sound quality. Then use the USB cable to upload it on my PC and then use software on the PC to slow down and otherwise edit the sound files.

Edited by marien

I have a minidisk (RH1) which performs very well, outperforms any microphone I have ever had for it anyway. It records forever, battery lasts a long time as long as I use it often. The crunch with digital stuff is always the duo of battery life and storage space. How do these devices (Edirol, H2, H4) go on storage, how long can they record at top quality? How long do the batteries last? Are the files massive?

Chris

How do these devices (Edirol, H2, H4) go on storage, how long can they record at top quality? How long do the batteries last? Are the files massive?

Well I have a 2 Gb card in my R-09, and I record mp3s at 192 kb - you can choose the bit rate you record at, the higher the bit rate the higher the quality, but the larger the files. 192 kb is quite a high bit rate and is about equivalent to minidisk ATRAC. At that rate I can record 29 hours before I have to download the card onto a pc. This is brilliant because I can record everything I want in a week at Sidmouth without having to change anything. I can leave the recorder going in a session and not worry about filling discs up. Of course if you want ultimate quality you can record about 3 hours worth of .wav format - minidisc has no equivalent to this.

A pair of rechargeable AA batteries lasts for about 5 hours. I take a couple of pairs plus a recharger, and that also sees me through Sidmouth OK.

The final nail in the minidisc coffin (I speak as a former minidisc user) is the clarity of the display and the ease of setting recording levels, something which was always tricky on my Sony minidisc and Hi-Md recorders.

Most if not all of the above probably applies to the Zoom and Mackie recorders as well. I can't speak for them as I haven't used them, though I have to say the new Zoom H2 has a very competitive price.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

How do these devices (Edirol, H2, H4) go on storage, how long can they record at top quality? How long do the batteries last? Are the files massive?

Well I have a 2 Gb card in my R-09, and I record mp3s at 192 kb - you can choose the bit rate you record at, the higher the bit rate the higher the quality, but the larger the files. 192 kb is quite a high bit rate and is about equivalent to minidisk ATRAC. At that rate I can record 29 hours before I have to download the card onto a pc. This is brilliant because I can record everything I want in a week at Sidmouth without having to change anything. I can leave the recorder going in a session and not worry about filling discs up. Of course if you want ultimate quality you can record about 3 hours worth of .wav format - minidisc has no equivalent to this.

A pair of rechargeable AA batteries lasts for about 5 hours. I take a couple of pairs plus a recharger, and that also sees me through Sidmouth OK.

The final nail in the minidisc coffin (I speak as a former minidisc user) is the clarity of the display and the ease of setting recording levels, something which was always tricky on my Sony minidisc and Hi-Md recorders.

Most if not all of the above probably applies to the Zoom and Mackie recorders as well. I can't speak for them as I haven't used them, though I have to say the new Zoom H2 has a very competitive price.

Chris

Well my Zoom H4 is highly complicated and I have just managed to burn my first CDs from my initial recordings.The quality of sound is excellent. The recorder is not compatible with Windows 98 and now I have a new computer it has sorted out that problem.The Zoom controller however seems to control the computer and my computer did not recognise a device was even plugged in until I pushed certain knobs on the Zoom.If you are good with computers and devices then this is so complicated you will have great fun.If you are like me and have to plod each inch of the way and get help do even do that, a Zoom is not for you.

A few years time, a few workshops,private tuition and hours of practice, I may change this message.

The Zoom controller however seems to control the computer and my computer did not recognise a device was even plugged in until I pushed certain knobs on the Zoom.If you are good with computers and devices then this is so complicated you will have great fun.If you are like me and have to plod each inch of the way and get help do even do that, a Zoom is not for you.

Well then, an R-09 probably is. connecting it to a computer is easy!

Chris

I understand that the Zoom H2 addressed usability issues of the H4 - principally the number of button pushes/menu selections required to start it. Basically you turn it on, press the central red button once, adjust the mic gain and recording level if necessary, and then press the red button again to start recording. To stop it, just press the red button again. Couldn't be simpler IMHO.

My only critisism of the R-09 is that the internal reverbs that can be used on playback cant be applied to the files that you download, making the use of other software essential if like me you have a rather dead room to record in.

Agree - I never use it. Instead of using processor power on reverb, I would have liked to see it used on time/pitch shift instead.

/Henrik

I went with the Edirol R-09, after being a dedicated minidisc user - but my machines kept failing. I went with the Edirol over the Zoom because the Edirol has physical record level buttons. Actual dedicated buttons rather than a menu item in the software. And with a 4G card I can record about 7 1/2 hours of CD quality sound (and I just saw Chris's post that an 8G card will work now!). There's also a Marantz machine - much bigger and more expensive, and I didn't see any advantages. I've seen a couple of Zooms around, but Edirol seems to be the way to go for me.

I went with the Edirol R-09, after being a dedicated minidisc user - but my machines kept failing. I went with the Edirol over the Zoom because the Edirol has physical record level buttons. Actual dedicated buttons rather than a menu item in the software. And with a 4G card I can record about 7 1/2 hours of CD quality sound (and I just saw Chris's post that an 8G card will work now!). There's also a Marantz machine - much bigger and more expensive, and I didn't see any advantages. I've seen a couple of Zooms around, but Edirol seems to be the way to go for me.

I'm beginning to feel like a salesman for Zoom...

On the H2, once you're in standby to record mode, the "<" and ">" buttons give you immediate access to adjusting the recording level which is consequently displayed. There is no navigation through menu items. There may be on the H4.

So is there any advantage of the H2 over the H4?

What does the H4 offer that the H2 does not?

Also are all of these devices MAC compatible?

Also, I once saw a Zoom and also did not like the construction.

It felt plasticy to me and I also like objects that feel well made and are sturdy.

How the does the Editrol compare in that respect?

Also is the Editrol easier to understand and figure out for us non-techies?

Thanks for all the input (or output!)

Perry

Guest Peter Laban

Unfortunately the Edirol is all plastic as well, which was slightly disappointing when it arrived. Overall though it's very easy to use, no fuss and great results.

FWIW I upload a little clip recorded yesterday, the edirol just put on the middle of the kitchen table and using the built in mics. The upload comes straight and unedited from the machine which for this track was not by far set to it's highest quality setting. Myself aside there's Kitty Hayes playing concertina and Mick Kinsella playing both harmonica and english concertina.

Edited by Peter Laban

the Edirol is all plastic as well, which was slightly disappointing when it arrived.

True - it doesn't have the "Is it heavy - then it is expensive"-feel to it.

While we are at it - have all you Edirolers out there made sure to update your software?

I did (in July, I think) and to my delight, one of the changes was that you can now set a

timer on the recording light, so that it goes out after, say, 10 seconds. This means no power

consumption to keep the LED on and it makes it more discreet in dark rooms (I've allways

felt like sitting in front of a small campfire with that LED on!)

The update is here.

/Henrik

I just read on the editrol site that the mics are able to separate from the main unit.

Correct?

Can the Zoom units also do that?

Also, are there major differences between the Zoom H2 and the Zoom H4 aside from price?

Also, is there a speaker in these units of do you have to use headphones?

Again, these are all Mac compatible correct?

Are there any recorders (like Sony's maybe) that are made with the "expensive" heft to them or is everything going to "High Impact" plastic?

thanks,

Perry

Edited by Perry Werner

Guest Peter Laban
While we are at it - have all you Edirolers out there made sure to update your software?

The update is here.

/Henrik

Thanks Henrik, that's useful, downloading now.

So is there any advantage of the H2 over the H4?

What does the H4 offer that the H2 does not?

Also are all of these devices MAC compatible?

Also, I once saw a Zoom and also did not like the construction.

It felt plasticy to me and I also like objects that feel well made and are sturdy.

How the does the Editrol compare in that respect?

Also is the Editrol easier to understand and figure out for us non-techies?

Thanks for all the input (or output!)

Perry

Perry this is the information off the Zoom H4 Box

2 Track mode for sterio recording

4 track mode for multi track recording

X/Y pattern Sterio Microphones

Hi- Z input for Guitar and Bass

Zoom effects and modelling provided

MP3 recording up to 320 KBPS

WRV recorording up to 24bit/96kHz

Audio and mass storage interfaces

XLR input with phantom power

128 MB 50 memory included (I have upgraded this card as it only lasts for about two and a half hours recording time)

If any explanation is required as to what this all means please do not ask me.

Al