Morse Albion

So Michael, how's that new Albion breakin' in?

I have one, #209 and I play Irish Trad, bluegrass, western swing, old-time, musette, Quebecois, Cape Breton, Shetland and Scotish...Stephen Foster and Gershwin, some limited baroque and classical...even country and once a year Christmas carols.

Super fast action that has been able to stand up to my minimum 3 hours of playing a day and has nicely mellowed in tone. Couldn't be happier.

Edited by Mark Evans

Well, let's do a roll call.

Who has them?

And for what type of music?

I refuse to answer (at least not right now), on the grounds that I don't always do as I'm told. :ph34r:

And by the way, why not a poll?

OK, let's rephrase it:

I wonder, how many of forum members have Morse Albions, and what kind of music they are used for?

I couldn't find any on the Concertina tune page, while Ceilis are plentiful.

And I don't know how to do a poll. Yet.

Look again Michael. I've two cuts on that page with banjoist Terry Thomas, Arkansaw Traveler and Red-Haired Boy played on #209 ;) .

Edited by Mark Evans

Look again Michael. I've two cuts on that page with banjoist Terry Thomas, Arkansaw Traveler and Red-Haired Boy played on #209 ;) .

But that's Windows Media!. Now I remember why I didn't listen to them. I'm on Linux.

Anybody else?

It does look like Youtube killed tune page, no? Such a pity.

Guest Mick Diles
But that's Windows Media!. Now I remember why I didn't listen to them. I'm on Linux.

My dear Michael,

What is wrong with Windows Media??? :unsure:

My dear Michael,

Our system on Linux doesn't support it.

My Mac doesn't like it.

My PC is at home, an hour+ drive from work and I have more important things to do at home.

Its a proprietary format only accessible via MS Windows. There are plenty of audio and video file formats that are accessible to all, mp3 and mpeg to name just one of each.

In a shared environment, like this group, postings should be accessible to as many as possible.

Its a proprietary format only accessible via MS Windows. There are plenty of audio and video file formats that are accessible to all, mp3 and mpeg to name just one of each.

In a shared environment, like this group, postings should be accessible to as many as possible.

Sorry about that Theo, but the website here at the jobsite where those little clips live only supports Windows Media Player files. Our ITS lads and homeland security are not that different :ph34r: .

Edited by Mark Evans

Well, let's do a roll call.

Who has them?

And for what type of music?

I have Serial Number 364, used for mostly simple melody lines from tunes and song from Newfoundland, and it drive my son nuts competing with his amplified guitar. There is a picture in my profile.

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

My first post :) . I have one and I love it. It is much better than my junky old Stagi. I use it to play classical and any modern music I'm in to at the moment. I usually play with my friend who plays guitar or piano.

-Ramus

I have a Ceili, but Anne has a baritone Albion. She uses it, as I use my Ceili, for morris where the light weight means you can play it comfortably even in quite long processionals. It's also her main tina for sessions, because the octave drop means she can hear herself more easily and also helps to enrich the overall sound of the session. IMHO the baritone Albion is the jewel in the crown of all the Button Box's output. There's not very much else like it.

Chris

I have No. 151. I bought it on e-bay as a travel concertina as it is so light! My best is a Crabb, thogh I also have a Wheatstone Piccolo. Most of the time I play the Morse just because of the mellow tone and the wheight.

So that is three down, and a Baritone, we should have a complete log soon.

Chris

I have a treble Morse Albion, number 108. I also do have some audio files on the Tunes page....and via my site at box.net (or, my main site). I believe the box.net ones, at least, are playable by all...I know that my daughter's Mac, which I usually use, now, plays them alright. Not sure about the Tunes page ones.

I love my concertina. Thought for a while that I'd change to a baritone, especially since my voice gets kinda high-ish and so then I'd have a balance. Decided to stay unbalanced, after all, since I didn't think it'd make much of a real difference.

I have tried playing various things, but I'd say I'm mainly self-styled, not really a trad player. I don't tend to play lots of melody -- let the voice take that, and play harmonies or chords.

I've added a foot bass, intend to use that more with my concertina.

I've gone back to playing....I'm sorry.... :unsure: ...my...accordion, too, for more group-type things. I plan to use the concertina and foot bass more for just my own stuff, and too be a bit more 'refined' with those, while the accordion can mash-out whatever, sorta.

I play the accordion while my husband plays his harmonicas, and he prefers the accordion over the concertina, says it's easier for him to hear. By myself, though, I usually prefer the concertina and the foot bass.

Have to put both hands up and say I have a treble and baritone Morse (how greedy is that) bought as a "matched pair" from Richard Morse/Button Box some years ago. The money came from selling a 56 button tenor/treble which I was unable to use due to damaged wrists (caused by years of keyboard use). They were absolute life savers - allowing me to continue my attempts to play.

Wrists are better now - but they still remain my "first" instruments - my vintage concertinas tend to only come out occasionally! What music do I play - anything slow and simple - but that's not a reflection on the instruments - only on my fingers and my brain/lack of knowledge!!

Kind regards

Jon