Lachenal With Parallel Reedpan

There's an item on ebay, 220134393527, with the following description:

This instrument is an Anglo Concertina by Louis Lachenal, 20 notes + one. At one end is inset an oval paper makers label which reads "Louis Lachenal-Patent concertina manufacturer-London" At the other end, a similar label reads "26651".

The photograph of the reed pans shows that the reeds are positioned parallel to each other, rather than radially. Is this a fake Lachenal, an experimental Lachenal, or is it simply that the subcontractors who made the reedpans used to work to their own designs?

All of the 20 button Lachenals I've seen have parallel reedpans. Only the 26 + button models (that I've seen) have radial reedpans.

Agreed re the 20-button instruments; parallel reedpans.

All of the 30+ button instruments seem to have radial reed pans with the exception of the 38-button Jeffries copies that they turned out in their later years. Arguably the best Lachenal anglos made in my opinion.

Edited by Paul Read

Hello

I have a 30 button Lachenal (originally G/D, now Ab/Eb). It has a parellel reed pan as well. Here is a link to a photo I posted of it, next to my Jeffries reed pan.

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...ost&id=2417

In the photo the Lachenal is on the right.

I was told by a person who has seen many concertinas that it wasn't unheard of, and not too remarkable, for Lachenals to have this sort of reed pan.

Richard

Edited by richard

Hello

I have a 30 button Lachenal (originally G/D, now Ab/Eb). It has a parellel reed pan as well. Here is a link to a photo I posted of it, next to my Jeffries reed pan.

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...=post&id=24

I was told by a person who has seen many concertinas that it wasn't unheard of, and not too remarkable, for Lachenals to have this sort of reed pan.

Richard

That link takes you to a gargoyle :huh:

Gargoyle for some.....Lachenal reed pan for others.

Try it again please.

Paul

I think my Lachenal is very nice. I was hoping to hear someone confirm that they felt the Parellel reed panned models were better than average. The previous mentioned expert wasn't too excited about it. I appreciate your reccomendation.

Richard

Edited by richard

I think my Lachenal is very nice. I was hoping to hear someone confirm that they felt the Parellel reed panned models were better than average. The previous mentioned expert wasn't too excited about it. I appreciate your reccomendation.

Is it possible to identify the Lachenals with parallel reedpans from their external appearance?

Chris

Is it possible to identify the Lachenals with parallel reedpans from their external appearance?

Chris

The Jeffries copies have metal ends that go right to the edge like a Jeffries. Mine also has 7-fold bellows. I don't know about the others.

Would my Lachenal be considered a Jeffries copy? It is from 1930-1932.

Has it been confirmed that Lachenal intended to mimic or emulate Jeffries instruments?

Here is a photo of one end.

Edited by richard