I Would Like To Hear A Rochelle.

Hello

I am curious to hear what a Concertina Connection Rochelle Anglo sounds like. Does anyone know where there is a sound file I could hear (there doesn't seem to be one on the CC website), or could someone make one and post it?

Thanks,

Richard

Hello

I am curious to hear what a Concertina Connection Rochelle Anglo sounds like. Does anyone know where there is a sound file I could hear (there doesn't seem to be one on the CC website), or could someone make one and post it?

Thanks,

Richard

Not doubting you, but's that odd. There are two or three MP3 files apiece for the Jack and the Jackie on teh CC site -- complete tunes, no less.

Not doubting you, but's that odd. There are two or three MP3 files apiece for the Jack and the Jackie on teh CC site -- complete tunes, no less.

Maybe because Wim plays English, not anglo. Anyway there was someone at our session last night playing a Rochelle, so with the sound in my mind I had a listen to the Jackie samples. I think the samples rather flatter the instrument - recorded with lots of echo and so forth. As well the chap playing the Rochelle last night seemed to be playing an octave up from those recordings, but if you allow for these factors the recordings do give some idea of the sound of a Rochelle.

Chris

I had one. I'd describe the sound as adequate, but not beautiful. Compared to a better instrument, the reeds were slow to respond, it was difficult to get "attack", and the sound lacked bite. A bit mushy. It was worth the price I paid, but I was glad to upgrade within a couple of months.

I've only been playing 4 weeks since getting my Rochelle, so don't expect miracles here...

the_hullichan_jig.mp3

I can't comment on how the Rochelle compares to other concertinas cause i haven't played any other ones. I certainly feel it's worth the money and find it really enjoyable to play.

I test drove one for a month and played it in the band. It was certainly loud enough (playing in octaves) and anything but shrill so is fine for sessions. As already commented, it is great for beginners, but not a solo instrument or spare instrument for good players.

For the price, it is great value when compared with other "entry level" anglos.

I was thinking of a Rochelle for traveling, to enjoy and keep in practice without worrying too much about security issues or other mishaps. Would it be good for that?

Richard

I was thinking of a Rochelle for traveling, to enjoy and keep in practice without worrying too much about security issues or other mishaps. Would it be good for that?

Richard

I've been having lessons with Keith Kendrick, who knows more about these things than I ever will. He played my Rochelle for me a few times and was able to make it sound pretty good - at least until he played his own box immediately after, and that sounded far better. He described the Rochelle as "fighting him".

I upgraded to a Marcus (one of the cheapest hand made boxes available) and immediately felt that I was playing better.

You'd expect a low-priced box to be less enjoyable to play than a high priced one. Where you lose out on the Rochelle is in the tone and the attack. You have to really pump the bellows to get any sort of "bounce" out of it, and work hard to get the reeds to sound when playing moderately fast.

Richard

For working out tunes, playing slowly, practising some techniques etc.... it would be fine, though moving to a Rochelle from a better instrument can feel a bit frustrating if you want to play exactly like you do on a more expensive box. Mine is used for when I fly and I've taken it abroad just packed in its case which is then put in a rucksack and had no problems at all. It seems to be pretty tough.

It's also handy to have one for those who like me are players of G/D instruments but want to attend Anglo workshops which tend to be run for C/G instruments.

- W