Father Kenneth Loveless

juhu

I was just going through my old records [vinyl] and found and listened to the great 1979 "where the pavement ends" by the moulton morris men .

I very much enjoyed the recordings of Father Kenneth Loveless playing on William Kimbers old Jeffries , really excellent stuff, I will have to get it put on cd.

Does anyone know of any other archive recordings of older english/ morris anglo concertina players or is the Kimber cd and these 2 jigs from Kenneth all that there is?, or is there any more of Father Ken?

Cheers, Julian.

I was just going through my old records [vinyl] and found and listened to the great 1979 "where the pavement ends" by the moulton morris men .

I very much enjoyed the recordings of Father Kenneth Loveless playing on William Kimbers old Jeffries , really excellent stuff, I will have to get it put on cd.

Does anyone know of any other archive recordings of older english/ morris anglo concertina players or is the Kimber cd and these 2 jigs from Kenneth all that there is?, or is there any more of Father Ken?

Cheers, Julian.

When I was compiling Anglo International I was donated some recordings of Father Ken,

sadly they were not good enough to include as it was thought that he had accidentaly drunk too much beer before or during his act.Sadly hitting the microphone stand with an almighty thump whilst playing the bells.

There is somewhere on this site a picture of me (bearded) playing alongside Father Ken at the Guildford Cathederal.A great character.

Al

Hi Julian,

Father Ken was certainly a character! I well remember popping around to his retirement home (3, Clothworkers' Cottages [from memory]) two or three times when I was down from Scotland on business. I learnt to take a bottle of beer, as only gin was on offer! Kimber's Jeffries was (probably still is) a fine machine. "Don't tell anyone I let you play it!" instructed Father Ken. I wonder how many other players also had this instruction?

Recordings of English-style Anglo players are, sadly, few and far between. The Morris Ring produced a cassette of Father Kenneth in 1992. 22 tracks; a combination of songs and tunes.

I recorded Father Ken at an ICA Meeting, in London, in 1985. There are five tunes played, on Kimber's Jeffries, during his talk:

Father Kenneth Loveless - Recollections of William Kimber.

Laudnum Bunches, Jockey to the Fair, Bonnets so Blue, Princess Royal, Double Lead Through.

This tape is now in the ICA Sound Archive, along with the rest of my extensive recordings (with the exception of a few on loan to Alan Day).

The intention is for these cassettes to, eventually, by tranferred to CD. However, for all readers of this post, please DO NOT pester Jonmac, since this is a long-term project, and he is a busy "lad"!

Regards,

Peter.

"Don't tell anyone I let you play it!" instructed Father Ken. I wonder how many other players also had this instruction?

Well I'll stand up and say me too! My first real close encounter with an anglo concertina and the start of my fascination. :D