Devon Squeezebox Foundation

I just stumbled across this site and thought I'd post the link. Their Big Squeeze meet in Crediton on 29 September lists the following Concertina tutors.....

Roger Edwards - Anglo

Mick Bramich - Anglo (Beginners)

Rob Say - English

John Dipper - English (Beginners)

...there's also JK running a Melo***n course and Paul Hutchinson a Piano Accordion one.

- W

Same weekend as Concertinas at Witney? :blink:

Just a coincidence :blink:

It will cut down numbers for both events which is a shame.

Maybe, it'd obviously be better to avoid any such clashes, but then I'm not going to Witney - not particularly enthused about the course subject matter for Anglos - but might well go to the Devon one.

- W

Probably because the Devon Squeezbox Foundation was set up by (as you so delicately put it) a Melo***n player. It is regrettable and means that I shall probably not go also. Although not usually an attendee at Witney for reasons that have been exhaustively discussed elsewhere, the ICA is I believe putting on an event at Witney that I shall want to go to.

Chris

Probably because the Devon Squeezbox Foundation was set up by (as you so delicately put it) a Melo***n player.

Well I knew if I waited long enough I'd find they were useful for something other than propping doors open :lol: ;)

(Blimey - I'm going to be in for a lot of stick if I ever decide to learn to play one :ph34r: )

(Blimey - I'm going to be in for a lot of stick if I ever decide to learn to play one ph34r.gif )

I was going to say something cheering about not needing to worry about such an academic possibility, but then I remembered that you encouraged your wife to get a goatskin drum.

(Blimey - I'm going to be in for a lot of stick if I ever decide to learn to play one ph34r.gif )

I was going to say something cheering about not needing to worry about such an academic possibility, but then I remembered that you encouraged your wife to get a goatskin drum.

It gives her something else to beat :ph34r:

Probably because the Devon Squeezbox Foundation was set up by (as you so delicately put it) a Melo***n player.

Well I knew if I waited long enough I'd find they were useful for something other than propping doors open :lol: ;)

(Blimey - I'm going to be in for a lot of stick if I ever decide to learn to play one :ph34r: )

Is it the wrong moment to say that I've been playing a lot of Melodeon lately? ;)

...or should that be "I've been operating my Melodeon a lot lately"? :lol:

Anyway - it does seem a shame that both events are the same weekend, but Witney wins for me simply by being more local. Plus the ever-marvellous David Cornell is taking duet workshops, which I'm hoping will give me a bit of a kick up the backside. :)

Thought I'd say a word or two about the Devon Squeezebox Foundation. I think its rather a good thing because it's been set up with a particular emphasis on encouraging kids to take up things squeezy. They have a stash of Hohner pokerwork melodeons (see, I'm not afraid of saying the M word) which they hire out to people to see if they take to it, and are running courses in village halls across rural Devon. The foundation's got National Lottery funding, because of the work it's doing to bring squeezebox, and traditional, music making to new people, including those of limited means. Something which should be celebrated and supported, I believe! :D

Thought I'd say a word or two about the Devon Squeezebox Foundation. I think its rather a good thing because it's been set up with a particular emphasis on encouraging kids to take up things squeezy. They have a stash of Hohner pokerwork melodeons (see, I'm not afraid of saying the M word) which they hire out to people to see if they take to it, and are running courses in village halls across rural Devon. The foundation's got National Lottery funding, because of the work it's doing to bring squeezebox, and traditional, music making to new people, including those of limited means. Something which should be celebrated and supported, I believe! :D

Absolutely - I'm sure none of us would disagree with that Sarah. :)

Quite right - I really hope it's a great success & my cheque for the Big Squeeze is in the post.

Me too!

I wonder if the Devon Squeezebox Foundation and the West Country Concertina Players are talking to each other? If not, then perhaps they should! I wonder if I can stir things up a little?

Chris

Me too!

I wonder if the Devon Squeezebox Foundation and the West Country Concertina Players are talking to each other? If not, then perhaps they should! I wonder if I can stir things up a little?

Chris

I'd be very surprised if they weren't.

You're likely right. The WCCP have had a fruitful collaboration with Folk South West and I can't believe that the Devon Squeezebox Foundation and FSW aren't in contact. Still, wouldn't do any harm to make sure.

Chris

You're likely right. The WCCP have had a fruitful collaboration with Folk South West and I can't believe that the Devon Squeezebox Foundation and FSW aren't in contact. Still, wouldn't do any harm to make sure.

Chris

The Devon Squeezebox Foundation does have a link to the WCCP on it's website. So they're obviously aware of its existence.

Quote by Stuart Estell: "Anyway - it does seem a shame that both events are the same weekend, but Witney wins for me simply by being more local. Plus the ever-marvellous David Cornell is taking duet workshops, which I'm hoping will give me a bit of a kick up the backside. "

David Cornell is a marvellous player, marvellous singer, marvellous entertainer, and all around great guy, and just having him in attendance, or in the same room should make the price of admission seem cheap at twice the price, he is that good. I don't know anything about Whitney or Devon, but I do know David Cornell and have had the privelege a number of times to play with him, and see him in concert. I would go where he is!

take care,

Don