Devon Squeezebox Foundation

Just realized that I haven't given any feedback on this subject - so yer tiz.

The 'Big Squeeze' was held at the local secondary school and seemed really well organized - particularly for the first time of this event taking place. The organizers had signage well placed and had programmes printed which gave additional information and which entitled the bearer to discounts at various eateries in the town. During breaks there always seemed to be a session taking place, plenty of tea & coffee & biscuits, and there were a variety of squeezeboxes on display for sale - though of Concertinas I only saw some starter instruments - possibly Jack/Jackies (I didn't check) - plus a Bandoneon and a Duet (I think). Our very own Chris Timson was also in attendance at the Anglo classes - maybe he took more notice of what was for sale - personally I can't afford to look too closely at Concertinas for sale :o

As for the workshops - it was well organized with three during the day on differing subjects, enabling players of more than one type of squeezebox to mix classes. At an hour and a half the workshop sessions were just the right length and bottled water was provided in the classes which was a nice touch. Also nice was that all the classes, except for the (very brave) beginners Anglo workshop, decided not to do a performance at the end of the day which led to more time for teaching and less time trying to learn a piece well enough to perform (which is the one thing that normally annoys me about doing workshops at the WCCP Kilve meets).

My Anglo workshops with Roger Edwards were excellent and different from other ones I've done. Not a great deal of playing took place - most emphasis was on the approach to playing, technique, embellishment, looking at what you're trying to achieve, your motivations and how that impacts on your playing, discussing the approach of other players, and very much experimenting with the instrument and seeing where that takes you. I'm on record here in the past saying that what I find most interesting in workshops is finding out more of the thought process behind the playing and player, so I was in my element here :)

Roger is a very engaging teacher, very thought provoking, and (despite the fact that he's caused me to pretty much tear-up everything I thought I knew about playing and start again) really worth seeking out. There's a new feeling of excitement whenever I pick up my Anglo now, and a feeling that I don't exactly know where I'm going to end up, and for that most of all I'm indebted to Roger.

The Big Squeeze this year clashed with Concertinas at Witney. The Devon Squeezebox Foundation have moved the weekend of the event next year to avoid this problem. If you get the chance to go next year I'd heartily recommend it.

- W

The Big Squeeze this year clashed with Concertinas at Witney. The Devon Squeezebox Foundation have moved the weekend of the event next year to avoid this problem.

- W

It also clashed with my birthday, so just as well they have decided to move it :rolleyes: Hope they don't move it too far into October, or else in will clash with the WCCP beginners weekend.

Chris

The Big Squeeze this year clashed with Concertinas at Witney. The Devon Squeezebox Foundation have moved the weekend of the event next year to avoid this problem.

- W

It also clashed with my birthday, so just as well they have decided to move it :rolleyes: Hope they don't move it too far into October, or else in will clash with the WCCP beginners weekend.

Chris

Or it'll clash with my birthday :( - we'll have to send them a list of dates when it'll be convenient for us to attend, then they can choose a date that's convenient for the both of us ;)