Baffles Gauze.

Please excuse my ignorance but ive just bought some red baffles gauze to put on my Edeophone. I was thinking - ive seen a lot of concertinas ( mostly on ebay) with this. Is it a relatively new thing ? or did concertinas have this fitted when they were originally made, and it deterorated over time never to be replaced ? was it just Wheatstones that had these fitted ? Was it only done to top of the range models ?

Looking forward to an interesting reply.

Best Wishes

David.

Please excuse my ignorance but ive just bought some red baffles gauze to put on my Edeophone. I was thinking - ive seen a lot of concertinas ( mostly on ebay) with this. Is it a relatively new thing ? or did concertinas have this fitted when they were originally made, and it deterorated over time never to be replaced ? was it just Wheatstones that had these fitted ? Was it only done to top of the range models ?

Let me know how you get on with this - I noticed it for sale and was thinking about getting some.

Chris

Let me know how you get on with this - I noticed it for sale and was thinking about getting some.

Chris

I spoke to David Leese the other day and he recons that this is the same person who approached him recently but he doesnt stock it. He must have obtained it from elsewhere and is selling off the surplus.

Mine arrived yesterday. A good sized piece for £3 which is ample to do my Edeophone. He also very kindly included written instructions on how to fit it.

I did a quick check to see if he is a member of this forum but he isnt.

When ive tackled it i`ll let you know.

David.

I think it was original equipment and that the proper stuff should make a dust proof sieve without cutting the sound noticeably. I've been told not to bother by people who should know several times, but they miss the point that I'm proud of my instruments and the colour showing through the frets looks good; presumably the same reason it was done in the first place.

Of course if it DID cut the incidence of fluff jammed reeds that would be worth it too; it doesn't happen often, but when it does it's really irritating. I'm looking at this now because I've had a reed jam after just getting warmed up. It's still irritating out of all proportion to the actual injury and I went off to look at Cnet in a huff!

I wouldn't claim any expertise in dressmaking or fabrics, but I suspect the appropriate fabric is generally available and relatively inexpensive, especially given the amount needed. It goes under the name of voile. Some voiles are heavier than others, and some are quite patterned. If in doubt ask any aunt over the age of about 65.

As to whether it keeps dust out, it will, but when old it will become dust and need replacing. Keeping moths out would be a good thing because around here they eat the felt out of the pads.

If you have a volume problem (not enough) or lack higher frequencies in the sound of your concertina it could be avoided. If your concertina is harsh in the uppers it could be a slight help.

Chris

I'd be interested too, but it's probably not available in the US.

Just emailed him. The sale has finished on ebay but he has only 1 piece left and I think Tallship is going for it.

Sorry

David.

Mine arrived yesterday. A good sized piece for £3 which is ample to do my Edeophone. He also very kindly included written instructions on how to fit it.

I did a quick check to see if he is a member of this forum but he isnt.

When ive tackled it i`ll let you know.

David.

To me it appears my Edeophone had fine white baffles when made. One baffle was missing, and

I tried to make one. Problem I had is making the individual holes for each button. I got some very

simular fabric used in quilting. I sent a picture of the original baffle to Gaskins and it maybe

on his web site in his article on baffles.

I believe the primary reason (Edeos)is to keep out dust and 'criters'. It also looks cool. The fabric

is too light weight to affect the sound.

On many 20 button Lachenals that I've seen, the baffles are red colored leather , and a rectangle

is cut out to accomodate the buttons. This tells me that it dust was not their reason for the baffle,

but to 'soften' the sound.

Does the instructions you receive go into cutting 24 equally spaced holes ?

Joe

Not necessary.

I've had instruments with gauze (I don't consider it to be "baffling") which appeared to be original. Since the area around the buttons is a solid, roughly rectangular piece, a similar piece is cut from the gauze. I.e., instead of a separate hole for each button, on each end there's one hole surrounding the entire array of buttons. From the outside, you can't see a difference, but the one-hole method is lots easier. :)

Not necessary.

I've had instruments with gauze (I don't consider it to be "baffling") which appeared to be original. Since the area around the buttons is a solid, roughly rectangular piece, a similar piece is cut from the gauze. I.e., instead of a separate hole for each button, on each end there's one hole surrounding the entire array of buttons. From the outside, you can't see a difference, but the one-hole method is lots easier. :)

It's a solid area on my Aeola but not on my Edeo. It has frets between the holes. It would be a lot easier

to do, but then it would not be equal to the original and not be as effective dust 'criter' shield.

I think it was original equipment and that the proper stuff should make a dust proof sieve without cutting the sound noticeably. I've been told not to bother by people who should know several times, but they miss the point that I'm proud of my instruments and the colour showing through the frets looks good; presumably the same reason it was done in the first place.

Of course if it DID cut the incidence of fluff jammed reeds that would be worth it too; it doesn't happen often, but when it does it's really irritating. I'm looking at this now because I've had a reed jam after just getting warmed up. It's still irritating out of all proportion to the actual injury and I went off to look at Cnet in a huff!

You come on here to calm down??????? :rolleyes:

I bought some of this too, so I'd be interested to see how people get on before I try it myself :)

Since the area around the buttons is a solid, roughly rectangular piece, a similar piece is cut from the gauze.
It's a solid area on my Aeola but not on my Edeo. It has frets between the holes.

Good point. On my Edeo, too, now that I pay attention. But mine has no gauze, and doesn't look like it ever did.

It would be a lot easierto do, but then it would not be equal to the original and not be as effective dust 'criter' shield.

OK, here's my second suggestion: Since the buttons won't be through the end when you apply the gauze, cover the whole button area with gauze, with light glue encircling the outer perimeters of the button bushings. Then after the glue dries, gently trim away the gauze covering each bushing and hole.

I wouldn't cut out the holes before the gauze is attached, since the gauze might not maintain a rigid enough shape, making alignment of precut gauze holes with the button holes an exercise in frustration.

OK, here's my second suggestion: Since the buttons won't be through the end when you apply the gauze, cover the whole button area with gauze, with light glue encircling the outer perimeters of the button bushings. Then after the glue dries, gently trim away the gauze covering each bushing and hole.

I wouldn't cut out the holes before the gauze is attached, since the gauze might not maintain a rigid enough shape, making alignment of precut gauze holes with the button holes an exercise in frustration.

I like that idea best. The instructions I received when I bought the gauze are a bit complicated to understand

and are quite methodical.

Whats the best glue to use PVA ?

David.

Whats the best glue to use PVA ?

I believe the recommendation that comes with the gauze is for using spray mount, and elsewhere I've seen double-sided tape recommended. I think PVA would prove to be very messy & very permanent. Also very important to do any of this well away from the rest of the instrument.