Easy 20 Button Anglo Identification For You Experts!

nkgibbs

Hello,

This is probably not a hard one to identify.

The fretwork at the top (where the number label might go) is a bit out of the ordinary. Also the number on the reed pans of 1902 seems more like a date?? Reeds are stamped with note and the reed plate screw holes are full (un-Nickolds like). No other makers marks.

Look forward to your comments,

Regards,

Neil

This one might be a Tidder, Neil.

Here are some links from google which usually come back to cnet.

http://www.google.com/custom?domains=Conce...A1%3B&hl=en

I've seen 20b Tidders, english Tidders, double reeded!! Tidders, and 30b suspected Tidders.

In my experience they are a bit better crafted than the equivilent Lachenals but not appreciably better players.

Greg

This one might be a Tidder, Neil.

Here are some links from google which usually come back to cnet.

http://www.google.com/custom?domains=Conce...A1%3B&hl=en

I've seen 20b Tidders, english Tidders, double reeded!! Tidders, and 30b suspected Tidders.

In my experience they are a bit better crafted than the equivilent Lachenals but not appreciably better players.

Greg

The fretwork is only very subtly different from my two 20-button lachenals, one is 1886, the other circa 1902-1908...I take it there's no "English Made" and Reed shoe trademark on the handrests?

Many thanks for your replies.

I see that Tidder is a London maker....any idea what date the 1902 number would place it??

My only worry here is that the pivots are not the staple type shown in many of the concertina.net photos of 'Tidders'........from recollection is that they have a single leg with a 'moulded', oval aperture for the arm; I am away from my PC and concertina for a few days so can't post a picture.

No, there were no makers' marks which made me suspect that it wasn't a Lachenal.

Regards,

Neil

Edited by nkgibbs

Neil,

The Tidder English I have has the "oval" plate for an action pivot that you desribed. I will take a look at my other two 20b Tidders. Let's see who gets their picture up first. (I'm betting on you!)

I'll also note their serial #s.

Greg

Neil,

The Tidder English I have has the "oval" plate for an action pivot that you desribed. I will take a look at my other two 20b Tidders. Let's see who gets their picture up first. (I'm betting on you!)

I'll also note their serial #s.

Greg

Greg,

You won the bet! Below is a picture of the action showing oval arm pivot. Would be very interested to hear whether your 20b are same. Is there any way to date these concertinas?? How do we reaaly know that they are Tidders?

It sounds as if we have the beginnings of a 'Tidder Support Group' here!

Regards,

Neil

Edited by nkgibbs

Neil,

Here is a picture of the action pan on the Tidder double reeded 20b that I have. I apologize about the quality of the pic but I think it still shows the same pivots as those on your 20b. My 20b and english have the same pivot plate.

The serial # for the double reeded 20b is 2687.

The serial # for the regular 20b is 4563.

The Tidder english is a bit more difficult to access but next time it is out I'll get that # as well.

A few things that my Tidders seem to have in common are:

Distictive end bolts with a thin "cheesehead" profile.

The use of lambskin on the bellows which seems subject to abrasive wear.

Hand cut (or at least hand finished) scroll work just like Lachenal's 20b except more finely done.

The distictive pivot plates.

A thicker reed shoe with unvented, parallel sides.

I'm sure Stephen Chambers can add much more and perhaps give us a time frame for manufacture.

Regards,

Greg

Greg,

I am getting more and more convinced! The fretwork is certainly different on the 'Tidder' with the patterns ending in a cut and these often penetrating a little way into the main part of the woodwork (hard to explain!). The thickness of the wood used for the feetwork also seems to be a little thicker than my Lachenals?? Also, the reed pans are supported on triangular section supports that are less that 120degrees and on the sides, as well as the corner of the ends (see picture).

Yes, we need Stephen to comment.

Regards,

Neil

Edited by nkgibbs