Ebay.. Alert? What On Earth Is This?

Is it even a concertina?

seems to have melodeon comb reeds in a concertina shell - i don't know a lot about stagi's but that seems an odd way to make a concertina.

It's mine and it's definitely a concertina. At least it's more like a concertina than a ham sandwich. It's not a whole lot unlike a regular Stagi really . It's got accordion reeds in banks. It plays very nicely. The action is by far better than the Stagi I had. No rubber sleeves and crooked buttons. This one has metal buttons that are fixed to the levers. It is quick and easy. Actually, the action is superior to any of the Lachenals that I currently prefer. Unfortunately it's volume really can't compete in a noisy pub session. It would be quite well suited to a singer or someone who plays amplified. With regard to the metal ends and it's excess of buttons, I've never seen another like it, except on the Dixie Chicks live performance of "Travelin Soldier"...

It's mine and it's definitely a concertina. At least it's more like a concertina than a ham sandwich. It's not a whole lot unlike a regular Stagi really . It's got accordion reeds in banks. It plays very nicely.

Sorry, John - shows my ignorance I had never seen one like that before.

It's mine and it's definitely a concertina. At least it's more like a concertina than a ham sandwich. It's not a whole lot unlike a regular Stagi really . It's got accordion reeds in banks. It plays very nicely. The action is by far better than the Stagi I had. No rubber sleeves and crooked buttons. This one has metal buttons that are fixed to the levers. It is quick and easy. Actually, the action is superior to any of the Lachenals that I currently prefer. Unfortunately it's volume really can't compete in a noisy pub session. It would be quite well suited to a singer or someone who plays amplified. With regard to the metal ends and it's excess of buttons, I've never seen another like it, except on the Dixie Chicks live performance of "Travelin Soldier"...

Wow, that's my concertina. Except mine is a C/G. I'm a self-teaching beginner, got a Hohner in August but needed that C sharp. I tried a cheap 30 button from E-Bay (red plastic, sticky buttons, oddly muffled sound), but then lucked into this one in January. I never did find out anything about where/how it was made; I called around to a couple places around here (Minnesota) that promise to maintain "all things squeezey" and was actually told that it didn't exist. I was wondering for a time whether Bastari had a factory in the Bermuda Triangle.

As a beginner, I have no basis for comparison, so you can take this with as much salt as you can tolerate. However, it isn't at all heavy or large (and I have the world's smallest hands), never sticks, and is great fun to work with. It is tuned just a hair on the sharp side. I do at least a little on it nearly every day, some days quite a bit.

First post, couple questions. First - How often do these (any tina, not this specific one, necessarily) need to be professionally maintained? Mine was in a closet, unplayed since 1985, til I got it. I've had no problems so far. A couple of the lowest reeds sounded odd at first, but that went away.

Second - I'm working out fingerings that are as balanced (between push & pull) as I can make them so I don't have to resort to the air button too often. However, I worry I might be getting over-dependent on the extra buttons and will find myself unable to play a regular 30 button if one comes my way. Is this over-thinking?

Third - how the hell do you use a drone button and why?