32b Lachenal On Ebay

Marien

An additional note for eventual enthusiastic bidders, I do not know the pitch, one could ask the seller. Many SA instruments are originally tuned in Bb/F. Also I don't know if this one needs a complete overhaul, but I would not be surprised if that would be the case.

My observation is that this 'tina looks like it was dropped. The wood at the joints seem to be separating.

Re: overhaul? I think that this concertina needs $700.00 to $1000.00 worth of refurbishment. I would love to know the age and history behind this concertina.

An additional note for eventual enthusiastic bidders, I do not know the pitch, one could ask the seller. Many SA instruments are originally tuned in Bb/F.

Or in Ab/Eb?

And I wonder what those extra buttons are.

If it weren't for the "SA" in the fretwork, I would expect "novelty" buttons, but I don't think the Sally Army repertoire had much use for cock crow, baby cry, etc. :unsure:

The person listing this concertina provided me with a serial number: The number is either 181008 or 81028. She does not know what the pitch is nor the age of this concertina.

There is something a little odd about one end of this instrument. It has washers on the bolts, screws missing and the end doesn't align properly with the bellows frame. Looks like a nice project though.

It is possible, but the split between the ends does not necessarily indicate a fall. It may also be that all the animal glue has been consumed by a natural enemy (book worm and other micro organisms). It needs reconstruction of the wood I would say, takes time but not the most difficult part of a restauration.

The restauration costs depends on what should be done (and who does it). It could need new bellows, the inside is a mystery to me. Hopefully the reed pan is ok and not warped. What to tell about the reeds (rust/brass replacements), springs, pads and valves, screws etcetera. It may be a lot of work, as it looks like it has not been played for a long time.

To have it restaured by a professional it could even cost you more than you estimated. To me it looks like an interesting winter project to make it playable again for my own use.

Edited by marien

Another opinion on the ends:

Am I the only one thinking these have been two different instruments before?

Whereas the ends (action box and pad board) look pretty black (ebony or ebonized) the bellows frames look pretty much like another type of wood (rosewood?), don´t they?

Christian

Hallo Christian.

I did not place a bid at the end. I think you will usually see no wood on the bellows, but leather and chamois leather. In the concertina's I have seen the bellows frames are not ebony or rosewood. Where small peaces of leather are missing near the ends, you may see a tape of linen (on which the leather is glued), and if that is gone you may see the (cheaper type of) wood of the frame. Maybe the same type of wood as the 6 corner blocks that hold the reed pan, or just spruce.

For a match between the bellows and the ends, it may be better to check its age (the serial number on the ends and on the bellows). Also maybe some knows more about the period these bellows papers have been used.

See you,

Hallo Christian.

I did not place a bid at the end. I think you will usually see no wood on the bellows, but leather and chamois leather. In the concertina's I have seen the bellows frames are not ebony or rosewood. Where small peaces of leather are missing near the ends, you may see a tape of linen (on which the leather is glued), and if that is gone you may see the (cheaper type of) wood of the frame. Maybe the same type of wood as the 6 corner blocks that hold the reed pan, or just spruce.

Hello Marien,

excuse me for that darft posting - I misinterpreted the (leather covered) bellows frames.

Still I think, that the ends and rest don´t really match but as long as the buyer´s not a member here, it will remain a guess.

Greetings

Christian