Did I Miss Something?

Greg Jowaisas

Did I miss something significant about this instrument?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=011

Certainly nice enough but I would have thought $1000. to $1500. would have carried the day (and auction)!

With the new eBay hidden bidder format it is much more difficult to tell if the experts were in on the hunt. That sometimes offered a clue and a partial education as to what to look for in future auctions.

Does $3800. and change seem excessive to anyone else?

Greg

Greg,

I think it's just two bidders who didn't know the market. I'd agree this is a high price although it was rather pretty. I suspect they'll need to spend more to bring it up to standard.

Hmmm, yes I was thinking of starting a thread about it myself. The instrument is very pretty, and looks to be in nice condition, but it's only the regular mid-19th century Wheatstone "12-guinea model".

It was bad enough the seller listing it with a starting price of £1500.00 (when they more usually sell for around £500.00, like this one), and I couldn't believe it when an eBay "newbie" bid on it, but then somebody bid against them and took it up to £1,918.00!!!!! :blink:

Madness! dontknow.gif

They could've bought a serious concertina for that money ... :rolleyes:

Madness! dontknow.gif

They could've bought a serious concertina for that money ... :rolleyes:

Well, I have seen that one as well and I still can´t beleive the price being paid for it. Having watched C. Algars instruments recently you could have bought these two instrument one and instrument two for less money, ready to go and being mid-range concertinas as well. And you could´ve had two.

It´s weird what people are willing to pay and what other people are wanting for theirs boxes...

Christian

Edited by Christian Husmann

"Instrument one", looks as one of the best playable types of EC's (lachenal new model). I think that the interest in the expensivly sold box has nothing to do wit playability at all, but more with the fact that it is all original and complete. It is the antique lover and not the tina player who pays that amount for such an old wheatstone, who prefers an original instrument from 150 years old above a 90 years old new model that plays much better.

I take that as a compliment. "Instrument one" is mine now.

I'm very excited, I could buy a New Model from this trustworthy seller for the bargain price of GBP 700.