Pronunciation Guide

Is it 'hay-den' or 'high-den'?

Many thanks.

Brian is a long time member of the West Country Concertina Players here in the UK, meeting tomorrow at Ruishton near Taunton. His name is pronounced 'Hay-den'.

John

While we're at it, anyone want to take a stab at the pronunciation of Gearóid Ó hAllmhuráin? I've heard his first name pronounced at least three different ways...

Is it 'hay-den' or 'high-den'?

Many thanks.

Brian is a long time member of the West Country Concertina Players here in the UK, meeting tomorrow at Ruishton near Taunton. His name is pronounced 'Hay-den'.

John

While we're at it, anyone want to take a stab at the pronunciation of Gearóid Ó hAllmhuráin? I've heard his first name pronounced at least three different ways...

Daniel,

For someone who doesn't speak Irish (and I don't!) the closest would be Gar-owed (emphasis on 2nd syllable) O'Halloran.

For someone who doesn't speak Irish (and I don't!) the closest would be Gar-owed (emphasis on 2nd syllable) O'Halloran.

Indeed, on his "Tracin'" CD (with Patrick Ourceau), Gearóid thanks his parents, "Máire and Frank O'Halloran."

OK, while we're at it, the correct pronunciation of Lachenal, please! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Don't you start Clappo - or there'll be trouble.... Mark my words!!

Correct pronounciation is 'Latchbox' or 'Lasher' :lol:

Dave ;)

PS remember to mark 'em 10 out of 10

OK, while we're at it, the correct pronunciation of Lachenal, please! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Er, haven't we been down this road before ... ? :huh: :unsure:

Would you like the Cockney or the French version? :P

Well if it's trouble you're looking for, how about the correct spelling: Jeffries or Jefferies?

Don't remind me of it! :rolleyes:

And those are only two of the variations! I've done a lot of genealogical research on the family, and found that spellings of the name varied so much that it was better to search for individuals from Wiltshire (etc.) with names beginning in Jef***!!! :(

Unfortunately they (like lots of 19th century working class families) were illiterate, and couldn't even write their own name (signing documents with an "x"), so other people wrote it down as they saw fit. Hence the same Census enumerator even wrote down the surnames of Charles Jeffries senior and his mother differently, when they were living (in different households) in the very same house!

Confusing? :blink:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Well if it's trouble you're looking for, how about the correct spelling: Jeffries or Jefferies?

Don't remind me of it! :rolleyes:

And those are only two of the variations! I've done a lot of genealogical research on the family, and found that spellings of the name varied so much that it was better to search for individuals from Wiltshire (etc.) with names beginning in Jef***!!! :(

Is there sound basis for excluding "Geoffries" and the like? (Not to be confused with America's
Joffrey Ballet
.)
B)

I've ... found that spellings of the name varied so much that it was better to search for individuals from Wiltshire (etc.) with names beginning in Jef***!!! :(

Is there sound basis for excluding "Geoffries" and the like?

Jim,

Like a search of all available British censuses (1841-1901) only produces three results for Geoffries! (And they are quite possibly enumerator errors.)

Will that do? ;)