Vintage Concertina Registry

hielandman

Hello all. I'm just wondering if there exists anywhere in cyberspace(or anyspace, or myspace, etc...)a registry listing various vintage make concertinas by serial number, I suppose, of the various concertina's manufactured during the heyday of the instrument, and then listing the owner, etc... Those things exist for some Banjo Manufacturer's, for example(Bacon, that I know of), and I am sure for other things. That would help out(I think)with some of the scams that occur on some of the online auction sites. If this is already in existence, please let me know, and if not, then why don't we start one? The information would be helpful, and besides, it would be fun to see what is out there!! Let's think about it, take care,

Don

Personally I won't support a collectible database open to scrutiny by anybody with an interest in my posessions. I already get two to five mailings a month that say "Hi my name is ....... I see you own a nice ...... We are ready to buy and will give you $....... cash when you are ready to sell. Please give us a call at ......... to set up an appointment". What an annoyance!

In addition to that I also refuse to disclose to insurance companies a list of my posessions to insure for only a few dollars(US) more. I don't trust either of them to keep the information private against theft. I don't like to advertise personal possessions. I might be a little too paranoid, but If they really are out to get me, then I might not really be paranoid then would I.

I personally think the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages, but then again it might only be me.

Thanks

Leo <_<

As a step sideways from this idea, on selling a concertina last year, I was asked by the buyer to write up its history as far as I knew it. This would then be added to by the buyer and each successive owner to provide an ongoing history of instrument.

I thought that was a great idea, and am writing down what I know about my other instruments (4 in total).

This would include my date of purchase; any details of the previous ownership; and any details of work done on the instrument.

There would obviously be gaps in history not previously recorded, but this process would build up an ongoing reference bank of data, and a complete record of the history of new instruments.

- John Wild

• 2 weeks later...

South African concertina owners have the opportunity to register their concertinas in a "Boer Music" concertina registry. Concertina owners have their concertinas photographed, serial numbers listed as well as the date of manufacture written on the certificate. Previous owners are also listed on the certificate giving one the sense of the personal history that accompnaies each concertina.

See my certificate attached in the photo. The certificate registry for South African players are listed in the following website: http://kalie.boeremusiek.net/konsertinas.html

South African concertina owners have the opportunity to register their concertinas in a "Boer Music" concertina registry. Concertina owners have their concertinas photographed, serial numbers listed as well as the date of manufacture written on the certificate. Previous owners are also listed on the certificate giving one the sense of the personal history that accompnaies each concertina.

See my certificate attached in the photo. The certificate registry for South African players are listed in the following website: http://kalie.boeremusiek.net/konsertinas.html

• 1 month later...
I certainly hadn't thought of any of that! And I agree with you, that just because you are paranoid, that doensn't mean that they are not out to get you!

Don

I'll second that comment on paranoia and privacy, but it would be helpful in dating Lachenals, since the records are lost, to know a few more with serial number/date links, if there's a clear date available.

I've recently bought an old 20 button Lachenal Anglo, serial 85612, that has a J. Wallis, 135 Euston Road label (and I've seen references that they became Wallis and Son in 1887) with an 1886 date written inside and a couple of signatures inside from one J.C.Trout, which doesn't look like repairman's mark...I'm only guessing, but it's writ large with pride, as a builder would do, not small like a repairman who would have replaced a couple of flapper valves...and there are no other visible inside repairs.

Anyone else have a signature inside from this gent, or who might confirm that he was a builder for Lachenal?

Doug

Edited by paperpunchr