Wheezy Concertina

My 30 button Tedrow C/G has developed a sever case of asthma. I noticed it over the weekend. The inside A draw on the left hand C row started getting 'echo'ey ' and louder than the other reeds. Then I noticed it kind of droned on a bit after I had released it. Now it seems to be making noise whether I am pressing it or not. Hence if I squeeze the tina without pressing anything sometimes she squeels and when I push her she'll squawk. It seems to be coming from that offending C row left hand G/A reed. I took the top off and looked to see if I could notice anything amiss but it all looked nice and neat to me. Does this sound like anything easily fixable or am I going to have to send it away for a while? It is really getting annoying but I do not want to be without it for an undetermined amount of time.

Thanks

Mark

My 30 button Tedrow C/G has developed a sever case of asthma. I noticed it over the weekend. The inside A draw on the left hand C row started getting 'echo'ey ' and louder than the other reeds. Then I noticed it kind of droned on a bit after I had released it. Now it seems to be making noise whether I am pressing it or not. Hence if I squeeze the tina without pressing anything sometimes she squeels and when I push her she'll squawk. It seems to be coming from that offending C row left hand G/A reed. I took the top off and looked to see if I could notice anything amiss but it all looked nice and neat to me. Does this sound like anything easily fixable or am I going to have to send it away for a while? It is really getting annoying but I do not want to be without it for an undetermined amount of time.

Thanks

Mark

Sounds like a pad has come away to me.

Paul, That would be my first thought too,

Mark, is the button for the G/A, or one in that area, standing up higher than the others? Or perhaps the is the pad twisting or sliding on the arm?

Dave

Edited by d.elliott

First thing to do is talk it over with Bob. He is the best starting place since he made the instrument, and will doubtless like to hear of any issues that crop up for future production's sake. Likely it is something you can fix yourself. Sometimes a slightly sticky button will keep the pad from resting firmly enough to really seal even though it appears down. Take the end off and the problem seems to dissapear until the end goes back on and there it is again. Sometimes the expansion or contracting of the various wood parts can cause missallignment of the button path, and put side pressure on the lever pivot resulting hin the same thing. Or all the other things people have mentioned, but Bob will be the best person to sort it out with, and if you can fix it yourself, I don't think he'll want it back in the shop just so he can make money on repairs. I think he'd rather spend the time on making a new instrument.

Dana

Thanks for all the advice guys. Reading up on it, yeah the pad sounds like it might be the culprit. I have checked the keys and they all seem to be at the right (same) height. I have been contacted by Bob hopefully he can help me out. Dana's advice about turning to the maker first was probably best but I know Bob is a busy guy. I dont mind sending up a flag for help and if someone see's it and has the time to offer advice then great. I just didnt want to bother Bob yet till I saw If I could fix it myself, but I will feel better after I talk to him.

Edited by mthatcher61