Best English Concertina- Opinions And Experiences Sought

A request for help/advice/sharing of experience and knowledge, and a hope that this doesn't elicit too much envy!

First, a little background.

My wife has played a cello in the past, and has her instrument out on loan through a music trust. She now wants to start playing again, and since her cello is not available we've decided to look for another, better, instrument for her. This brought up the topic of spending money on a really good instrument that would be enjoyed now, but also retain its value over the years, thinking that at some time. as we get older, we may need to sell because we need the cash more than we need the instrument.

In the light of this 'policy decision' of ours regarding the cello, my wife is urging me (I kid you not) to look for the best concertina (English system) I can find!! I currently have a nice metal ended Lachenal tenor treble, rebuilt by Colin and Rosalie Dipper some 16 years ago, and a recently acquired metal ended Wheatstone baritone. So you can see that I'm pretty well provided for already. I'd add that both these instruments are used and enjoyed regularly and frequently; I'm not one for accumulating good instruments purely as investments.

The fact is that I rarely, if ever, use the tenor end of the range on the Lachenal and so replacing that with a treble Edeophone or Aeola, or with some other beauty that I've not yet thought about, is the first thing that occurs to me.

I know that some months ago a Dipper English was sold on ebay after being offered here. That would be a very attractive proposition, but the chance of that happening again in the near future is not very great.

So, what would you do?. What would you be looking out for? Any experiences with top quality instruments, pros and cons, or suggestions of alternatives to those mentioned, would be much appreciated.

many thanks,

JohnA

So, what would you do?. What would you be looking out for? Any experiences with top quality instruments, pros and cons, or suggestions of alternatives to those mentioned, would be much appreciated.

many thanks,

JohnA

Well, Aeloas and Edeophones are reckoned to be each maker's top instrument and I don't think Jeffries made many English concertinas. They seem to be mostly highly sought after Anglos or duets. Then there is Crabb. Geoff Crabb has started making concertinas again, though only Anglos so far. Of the current other British makers, Colin Dipper has a long waiting list and so probably has Steve Dickinson. At the recent WCCP weekend at Kilve, the duet player Paul Mcann showed me his beautiful Crane/Triumph duet made some ten years ago by John Connor, so he might be worth investigating. I have seen Wim Wakker, the Dutch concertina maker and player, quoted as saying that he has swopped all his Aeolas for Edeophones and converted the levers to rivetted action as on the Wheatstone mechanisms, chosen because he believes them to be superior to the Aeloa. I play a metal-ended Wheatstone treble and my partner plays a wooden-ended treble Aeloa and they are both lovely to play and produce a good sound. Bearing in mind, from an investment point of view, that a Dipper or modern Wheatstone will take a while to appreciate in value over what you paid for it, whereas a good Edeophone treble will be a cheaper and at least hold its value.

Chris

John,

I'd agree with all of Chris's reply above, and I think the main thing you have to consider is time. You'll get a superb instrument, exactly how you want it, from one of the modern makers, but there is a long waiting time. Conversely, a top notch instrument from the old makers is very likely to crop up within months, but what will it need doing to it, and do you know a friendly repairer who can fit you in in the timescale you want?

Another alternative is to contact someone like Chris Algar, Stephen Chambers, or Hobgoblin. If they have anything like you require, it will come ready to play.

It might also be worthwhile leaving your requirements with as many repairers as possible, as they often have work and enquiries coming through that might match up. As with the ebay Dipper you mention, you need to be in the right place at the right time, and this is one way to short circuit that.

Hello JohnA,

Yes, you are in an enviable position. And we would all like to see you make a good decision if only to vicariously fullfill our own fantasies! So here are a couple of possibilities. (I'm not personally recommending any "particular" instrument or maker but I would certainly give these a second look.)

Amboyna Edeophone from a forum member:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5640

T/t from an exclusive and somewhat reclusive maker:

http://www.hmtrad.com/catalog/winds/sbx/used/holmwood.html

I was not able to find the ebay listing for a recently sold metal ended Wheatstone Aeola from the 1920s.

A call to Chris Algar is a good idea. His inventory is always changing and if you are serious he will keep an eye out for the particular instrument you are looking for.

Finally, a post for a fine english concertina in concertina.net's Buy and Sell section wouldn't hurt.

Good hunting!

Greg

many thanks,

JohnA

Of the current other British makers, Colin Dipper has a long waiting list and so probably has Steve Dickinson. At the recent WCCP weekend at Kilve, the duet player Paul Mcann showed me his beautiful Crane/Triumph duet made some ten years ago by John Connor, so he might be worth investigating. I have seen Wim Wakker, the Dutch concertina maker and player, quoted as saying that he has swopped all his Aeolas for Edeophones and converted the levers to rivetted action as on the Wheatstone mechanisms, chosen because he believes them to be superior to the Aeloa. I play a metal-ended Wheatstone treble and my partner plays a wooden-ended treble Aeloa and they are both lovely to play and produce a good sound. Bearing in mind, from an investment point of view, that a Dipper or modern Wheatstone will take a while to appreciate in value over what you paid for it, whereas a good Edeophone treble will be a cheaper and at least hold its value.

Chris

Thanks for those thoughts Chris. I think life might be too short to wait for a Dipper, but I'll look into the reference you make to John Connor and give him a ring. I was at Kilve last weekend as well, but didn't manage to catch Paul's playing this year having missed out on the bas sessions. I reckon the odds are going to be in favour of an Edeophone or Aeola after this process, but I'm trying to keep an open mind - as well as enjoy the research!

regards,

John.

John,.. a top notch instrument from the old makers is very likely to crop up within months, ...

Wes,

I'm tending to agree with your observation - see my response to Chris's posting. Many thanks for your other thoughts. I've dealt with Chris Algar before - he was the source of my Baritone Wheatstone, and I'll be giving him a ring to see what he has available and/or ask him to look out for something for me.

John

I recently had the good fortune to do some minor work on that Dipper. It is an absolute beauty. It would be interesting to know how many Dipper English concertinas are in existence.

Paul,

I thought I'd be making others envious; your comments make me green!

John

Thanks for those thoughts Chris. I think life might be too short to wait for a Dipper, but I'll look into the reference you make to John Connor and give him a ring. I was at Kilve last weekend as well, but didn't manage to catch Paul's playing this year having missed out on the bas sessions. I reckon the odds are going to be in favour of an Edeophone or Aeola after this process, but I'm trying to keep an open mind - as well as enjoy the research!

regards,

John.

A small word of warning about John Conner English concertinas, I owned one for a while and whilst it was a very good sounding concertina that was very well made it was very heavy. In the end I traded it for an Aeola with Chris Algar. Just my view and you should make up your own mind.

Finally, a post for a fine english concertina in concertina.net's Buy and Sell section wouldn't hurt.

Good hunting!

Greg

Thanks Greg. I've looked at those links. both are in the US and I'm in the UK. I think it's essential to handle and play at this quality, slight variations make all the difference between very good and excellent. I'll follow up your suggestion with a wanted posting.

John

Edited by JohnA

Dear John A: though i don't know to what use your put your concertinas or what repertories you play. . . .why not consider a restored Victorian instrument. . . . .and there's more music from the period just waiting to be played than you can squeeze the bellows at...............Allan