Alternative Cases

Hi, what kind of acceptable substitutes do people use out there for hard cases for Concertina's? I am not too comfortable with the protection my gig bag type case offers my concertina. Custom built is a bit pricely for me, those hard shell, foam padded camera cases look nice but I can't find any with dimensions for a Standard C/G Anglo (6 1/2" across the flats). Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi, what kind of acceptable substitutes do people use out there for hard cases for Concertina's? I am not too comfortable with the protection my gig bag type case offers my concertina. Custom built is a bit pricely for me, those hard shell, foam padded camera cases look nice but I can't find any with dimensions for a Standard C/G Anglo (6 1/2" across the flats). Does anybody have any suggestions?

THis is one of those endless debates around here.

For my Morse, I use a fairly expensive soft case with rigid plastic inserts in the sides and top. Not the protection of a good hard case, but much more protection from jarring (thick, dense foam all around). I worry more about banging into walls and dropping the case than stepping on it.

But I would not use a soft case without such sidewall protection.

For my good vintage instrument, I use a custom hard case -- and carry that in a bigger, very well padded soft case. This may be overkill, but I'm a klutz.

There's also something to be said for the salvage IBM cases, which are too big and awkward, but provide a good combination of dense, thick foam and hardwall protection. And if they're still available, they're cheap.

When I got my Norman it had no case with it. I discovered that the local music store although not selling concertinas was selling cases which were apparently the ones that came with Stagis. He told his supplier that he wasn't interested in selling Stagis but would take the cases. I paid him €45 for one. Light hardboard type sides with angle pieces on corners. Handle on lid and two clasps. Obviously wouldn't be up to much if going on the road would gives it protection for most other scenarios. Would it possible for you to get in touch with Stagi?Maybe your nearest Stagi selling store would bring just a case in on next consignment?

The Button Box sells two soft case options and two hardcase options. At 14 bucks there isn't much protection at all for the cheap softcase. The $59 soft case is only marginally better protection-wise though is a lot better. made. It's also considerably larger - big enough to fit all Stagis and then some (the only size it comes in). Some people have been taking to wrapping their concertina in a towel (spare t-shirt, etc.) to pad things out between their box and the case which gives is significantly more protection.

From that it's only a few dollars more to a hard case designed by and made for the Button Box for $65. The main difference between that and the $80 Stagi cases (we also sell) is that ours is better designed and constructed (black leatherette covered plywood with a lining that won't shed or pill and nicer hardware vs hardboard and fluffy lining) and that ours is made for the "standard" 6 1/4" concertina. The Stagi cases are larger. Either way you'd want to install blocking to keep your box secure and pressure off the handles and buttons. You can do that yourself or the Button Box will do it for you (custom fit for your concertina) for and additional amount.

We're working with a local craftsperson to produce some nicely finished, sized, and protective softcases, but it will probably be another month or so before things come together.

-- Rich --

Don't forget that part of the function of a case is to keep the bellows supported an a fully closed position without, as Rich comments, pressure on furniture or keys.

A good case should always ensure that the bellows axis is kept horizontal.

Dave

thanks larryo, if concertina was out you chould see it blocked.

Like this:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...ost&p=40525

I also think it's one of the nicest I've seen homemade. I bought a case from WalMart and never finished it. I did some looking and found out it is made in the US from the Plano company. (of fishing box fame) under their Caboodles line of makeup cases. Not bad hard case to start at an inexpensive price. I'm partial to hard outside and padding inside. Well done!

http://www.caboodles.com/

Thanks

Leo :)

Edited by Leo