Concertinas On Tv Ads

There is an ad currently showing on British TV for a company called Phones4U. There is a bloke wandering about in the background playing a concertina. He seems to be really playing it - unlike most of these things where it is a 'stage' fake concertina.

I still can't work out what it is actually doing there. It seems completely unconnected with the rest of the ad. Presumably some ad exec somewhere thought it meant something?!

Has anybody else seen it? Does anybody know who it is playing?

There is an ad currently showing on British TV for a company called Phones4U. There is a bloke wandering about in the background playing a concertina. He seems to be really playing it - unlike most of these things where it is a 'stage' fake concertina.

I still can't work out what it is actually doing there. It seems completely unconnected with the rest of the ad. Presumably some ad exec somewhere thought it meant something?!

Hi

can't help with the Q's but the link takes you to the adverts

http://www.phones4u.co.uk/info/info_tvadverts.asp

from burt

Another concertina on the telly:

http://www.redbeemedia.com/design/bbc2_morris.shtml

Anyone recognize the music?

I'm possibly wrong but it sounds like the signature to BBC 2 telly itself. Perhaps it's been derived from that in order to keep in with 2 theme. I like it though, nice little bit of old english on the telly. I wonder who recorded it for them.

It's a clever bit of concertina playing though but - makes it sound just like a melodeon!

Also: I'm sure I can hear feet, despite the 2s being, apparently, podiatrically challenged!

BUT:.....

Good lines! Can we invite them to our Weekend of Dance?

Clive

I particularly like the way the morris-dancing 2s have been deliberatlely designed to dance out of sync - nice authentic touch.

As a former morris dancer I can assure doubters that morris sides deliberately dance badly, "in keeping with the amateur and relaxed nature of morris dancing" to quote the designer's webpage. You don't get to be as crap as most of sides I see without plenty of practice. :)

I'm possibly wrong but it sounds like the signature to BBC 2 telly itself. Perhaps it's been derived from that in order to keep in with 2 theme. I like it though, nice little bit of old english on the telly. I wonder who recorded it for them.

It was Colin Endean of Greenwich Morris Men on melodeon.

I was given this link:

http://www.bbcbroadcast.com/design/bbc2_morris.shtml

And I was given this ABC notation:

X:1

T:BBC 2's

M:6/8

K:G

E2G d2 B|A>GA B2D|E2G d2B|c>Bc A2D|

E2G d2 B|cBA G2g|g>fe d2B|A>GA B2g|

g>fe d2 B|c>Bc A2g|g>fe d2d|e>dc d2d|

e>fg d>BG|A>BA G3 |E2G d2B|A>GA B2D|

E2G d2 B|c>Bc A2D|E2G d2B|cBA G3 ||

Going with the comments which came with the ABC it is not quite a complete tune - it is 20 bars.

- John Wild

Well, well. Thanks for this, John.

Colin used to play for "Old Palace Clog" when I was one of their regular musicians. He married Lucy, one of the OPC dancers.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi

can't help with the Q's but the link takes you to the adverts

http://www.phones4u.co.uk/info/info_tvadverts.asp

from burt

Concertinas in two of these ads. "Pulling Power" is the one referred to above, and "Paddling" also has a little girl playing one. Actually, although she's squeezing and pulling the bellows in and out (and making sounds), she doesn't appear to be pressing any keys. :o

Another concertina on the telly:

http://www.redbeemedia.com/design/bbc2_morris.shtml

Anyone recognize the music?

I was given this link:

http://www.bbcbroadcast.com/design/bbc2_morris.shtml

And I was given this ABC notation:

X:1

T:BBC 2's

M:6/8

K:G

E2G d2 B|A>GA B2D|E2G d2B|c>Bc A2D|

E2G d2 B|cBA G2g|g>fe d2B|A>GA B2g|

g>fe d2 B|c>Bc A2g|g>fe d2d|e>dc d2d|

e>fg d>BG|A>BA G3 |E2G d2B|A>GA B2D|

E2G d2 B|c>Bc A2D|E2G d2B|cBA G3 ||

Going with the comments which came with the ABC it is not quite a complete tune - it is 20 bars.

- John Wild

I was, directly or indirectly, John's source. This was discussed at length on the Morris Dance Discussion List about a year ago. The archives can be found here. I notated the abc. Colin told the story of how he played it on the melodeon. Tony Sadler wrote the tune to include the BBC2 theme (the first 4 notes of the tune).

This was discussed at length on the Morris Dance Discussion List about a year ago. The archives can be found here. I notated the abc. Colin told the story of how he played it on the melodeon. Tony Sadler wrote the tune to include the BBC2 theme (the first 4 notes of the tune).
I have located the key post on the MDDL. It is from Tue, 3 May 2005, posted by Colin:
It certainly was not a concertina, it was my beaten up Erica.

I recorded it in February at a studio in Putney last February. The music was written by Tony Sadler based on the BBC2 ident theme. I thought he did a brilliant job, and as I do not read music it took a few takes. The bells are me dancing in his dining room/sound booth.

We watched some footage of dancing for around half an hour (supplied by the Ring I believe). I saw the story board for the animation, and the finished article turned out much better than I first imagined.

Colin Endean

Squire Greenwich Morris Men (UK)

I was, directly or indirectly, John's source.

Indirectly - my source was Margaret Bray, dancer and fiddle player with Kettle Bridge Clogs, but I am happy to acknowledge the original source. I believe Margaret and Colin have played in the same ceilidh band - March Hare, and Margaret may have played for Greenwich Morris as well, but I am not sure on this.

Regards

John

I was, directly or indirectly, John's source.
Indirectly - my source was Margaret Bray, dancer and fiddle player with Kettle Bridge Clogs, but I am happy to acknowledge the original source. I believe Margaret and Colin have played in the same ceilidh band - March Hare, and Margaret may have played for Greenwich Morris as well, but I am not sure on this.
Let me clarify: I had nothing to do with the production of the BBC animation, and knew nothing about it until they started discussing it on the MDDL (Morris Dance Discussion List). But after downloading the video, I created the abc that John posted, and his mention of
sounds suspiciously like something I might have written.

Let me clarify: I had nothing to do with the production of the BBC animation, and knew nothing about it until they started discussing it on the MDDL (Morris Dance Discussion List).

sounds suspiciously like something I might have written.

The quote from my previous post were my actual words, but I was agreeing with the comments received.

Sorry if my words caused any confusion.

- John