Playing Your First Session

Nigel

I have never played at a session, or anywhere outside my house, but today I had an opportunity. There is a new music shop in my town, so I popped in for a browse and a chat. The shopkeeper invited me along to a seesion being held tonight in a nearby village, saying "it would be good to have a concertina there." I said I would think about, and thought of little else all day. Eventually, having decided that I would probably, possibly go, I sat down and played a few tunes and promptly changed my mind. In other words I chickened out. My reasoning was this - I only know 7 or 8 tunes reasonably well, and I make frequent mistakes when playing these. I could imagine myself sitting in a corner playing a tune or two rather badly and not doing much else, except feeling out of place. So, I was wondering, what was your first experience of a session and how many tunes did you have under your belt at the time?

Hello Nigel,

Why not go along to the session without your concertina? If this is a new session to you, then that's good advice anyway. You can see/meet the players, find out the kind of music being played and the kind of session it is. By that, I mean is it an MC'd session with someone in control, and deciding who plays next or is it a free session where anyone can join in when they want, or start their own tune in a gap. Sessions do vary alot, so go along and check it out first.

My own first was about 2-3 years ago, at the end of an evening when I went out to the car to get my 20 key Lachenal. I played "Amazing Grace", to a nearly empty pub, the only tune I could play all the way through at the time. I had had quite a few pints at the time and as hardly anyone was left, happily played through it as I had at home. The next session I took it along, played it again to a full session without the alcohic cloud and was abosolutly terrified! I got a polite applause, but I was shaking. But one thing you find out very quickly is that folkies are some of the kindest souls on the planet, and will go out of their way to make a new player feel comfortable. I'm still shaking at times, and yes, I do make mistakes. It doesn't matter though - so does everyone else. Some are good (and some, very good) at covering them up.

Go along to the sessions, I promise, you won't regret it or look back.

I do make mistakes. It doesn't matter though - so does everyone else. Some are good (and some, very good) at covering them up.

That's a good trick to learn. If you forget the tune, or the words to a song, it's amazing what you can get away with, just as long as you carry on confidently.

If you vamp the same chord for a dozen bars while staring at the ceiling or floor for inspiration, it's a dead give-away. But if you can play a "variation" or make up some words as you go along, most of the audience won't even notice you've gone wrong.

The gentle art of bluffing - essential to any musician!

Well, it works for me :)

And, unless you make a nuisance of yourself by playing too loudly, no one is listening too closely anyway!

That's a good one there and a habit that I still fall into without constant attention. Dominating a session can make you unpopular even if you can play the tunes like an expert. Part of the problem is that my Jefferies is invariably the loudest instrument in the room, and the timbre is cutting. I've practiced playing as softly as I can at home. A great exercise for creating depth to your playing in any situation.

Many thanks for all the wonderful replies. In answer to your question Jody, no I didn't go to the session, but I wish that I had, if only to sit and listen in the background. I'm not a particularly outgoing person and I imagine that someone playing the concertina would be in the forefront of a tune,especially in Irish sessions where the concertina is a melody instrument and you don't have the option of playing chords quietly in the background ( I might be wrong about this!). A few posts (can't remember which ones - sorry) mentioned playing along for a phrase or two, joining in where possible. I love the sound of that, but can't imagine myself being able to do it!

I am immensely encouraged by all the comments here. I will get along to the next session I promise! Unfortunately last night's session was a one off in aid of cancer research (another good reason for going), but I will go back to the music shop next weekend and see if there are any more sessions happening in the near future. So if you are playing in a session in County Down in the next few weeks and you see a big fellow looking uncomfortable in the corner, cradling a concertina and wondering which phases to join in on, that will be me!

I do make mistakes. It doesn't matter though - so does everyone else. Some are good (and some, very good) at covering them up.

That's a good trick to learn. If you forget the tune, or the words to a song, it's amazing what you can get away with, just as long as you carry on confidently.

If you vamp the same chord for a dozen bars while staring at the ceiling or floor for inspiration, it's a dead give-away. But if you can play a "variation" or make up some words as you go along, most of the audience won't even notice you've gone wrong.

The gentle art of bluffing - essential to any musician!

Well, it works for me :)

I never noticed Howard - you must be a most accomplished bluffer :lol:

My eyes and ears will be upon you when next we meet B)

Regards

Dave

Hello Nigel. Two weeks ago I made my "debut" as a concertina abuser at the tender age of 62. I live in a small relatively remote town and a few of us decided to get together to make our own entertainment. I was TOLD to bring my concertina. We sang a few songs together and after a few beers some of us went solo and I was asked to " show and tell" my little treasure. I was very nervous being a bit on the shy side and like you can manage only a handful of tunes. I played and made mistakes but it was fun and I was Told that my concertina had to come with me to all future get togethers.It has helped me ,I am trying to learn one new tune for each session which are planned to happen fortnightly. Being with friends helped and having similar interests lets us forgive our trespasses. If you get the chance again Go for it. Regards Geoff.

I see you're from Northern Ireland so I'm guessing you're playing Irish tunes, is that right? Well I was in your situation about 3 or 4 years ago; here are a few things that helped me: jot down the names of a few tunes that are played regularly at your session, tape them or get them from a book or session web site - I like the Walton's '110 Ireland's Best Session Tunes' sieries which come with CD's of the tunes - learn them and practice along with the recordings. Practice alone and record your practice to get an objective idea of how you're playing - this was very painful for me but it will help in correcting your errors.

Don't give up! It's amazing how after a while tunes will start sticking to you - just like a language, the more you use it the easier it will get!

5 years on (I know that seems a long time) other session members are looking to me to lead off and I know dozens of tunes.

Good luck! Alan.

Hi Nigel

I get together with a variety of musicians some brilliant players others not so, it doesn’t make a difference we all just enjoy playing and all had to start somewhere. Some tunes I can play well, others I manage to pick up half way through or have just managed to pick up when the tune if finishing which is really disappointing as you then want to keep going, I do usually manage to finish on the right note. Have been playing sometimes and thought I was playing the wrong notes only to find later it wasn’t me it was someone else, you know something isn’t right but are not sure what.

Another suggestion is to sit next to a PA player then no one will be able to hear what you are playing. When I started playing I joined a local folk orchestra and was lumped in with the ‘boxes’, my little concertina was surrounded by about six huge accordions I was playing an Anglo at the time and played a whole tune on the wrong row, no one knew as I was drowned out, I do try to keep well away from them now.

Another suggestion is to sit next to a PA player then no one will be able to hear what you are playing.

Works well, unless you can't hear what you're playing!

One of the most difficult temptations to overcome in sessions is the urge to play quietly so people can't hear your mistakes. Unfortunately you can't hear yourself then, and mistakes are guaranteed. The start of wisdom is steeling yourself to play loud enough to hear yourself.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

My first session was labeled a "beginner's/slow session where sometimes we play up to the speed of a funeral dirge."

HAH!

In my beginner's opinion, everything was played at breakneck speed, and I didn't know any of the tunes they were playing. In time, I started to pick up some -- this session very courteously provided the "dots" for everything.

I miss that session.

At the local session I started, I still don't play about half the time -- because it's a combination bluegrass/celtic session, and I don't know all the bluegrass tunes they know.

But I wouldn't give up the fellowship I feel during the session for the world.

Jody --- I found out last week that my spring break coincides with Palestine Festival, so I will be there, come hell or high water. I was there last year and learned SO MUCH just by hanging out with other concertina players for 3 days. I can't wait to return, and to absorb everything you have to teach us!

Palestine Festival, so I will be there, come hell or high water.

Rhomylly,

That's great news. Looking forward to meeting you and playing tunes. It sounds like a fun and friendly festival.

For others who might want to consider it, the dates are 3/29 -31 in Texas.

http://www.geocities.com/palestinefestival/index.htm

I'll be there helping folks to figure out how to play chords with melody on the Anglo. We'll learn a few old time tunes and try to get that chugging rhythm thing going. There will be lots of open old time sessions for brave souls to join. Bring your dulsimers too!

Hello Nigel, Are you still there? Two weeks have gone by and we got together again. I made more blues than I did the first time but it's still fun.And I laughed and I sang and camped around the billybong. Geoff.

Hello Geoff, yes I'm still here. Your session sounds great. I have been inspired by eveyone's replies and I will get to a session the next chance I get. In the meantime I am practising with more enthusiasm and finding that I am enjoying my playing more as a result!

Nigel

Hello Nigel,

I must admit that up to now, I have rather bottled out of taking my anglo to a session. It is too easy to stay in the comfort zone and just take my recorders along. However I have taken it to "singalong" folk club evenings and played tunes on it when it was my turn. I just kept to stuff that I could confidently play without too many mistakes - mainly airs and waltzes which do not need me to play too fast. I was surprised how positively I was received - even to people asking "Have you brought your concertina tonight, Geoff? I really enjoyed it last time" at subsequent sessions. So even as a beginner you can still give it a go.

Following this thread makes me think I should stretch out and take the anglo along to a session and play it occasionally, especially as I have just "upgraded" to a lovely new Morse Ceili. A very nice instrument and folk who have heard it have commented on how nice the tone is.

Cheers

Geoff