Quality Of Fretwork & Sound Quality

Jim,

Without doubt there was a point at which key bushings were introduced, and yes I have seen good early (English System) instruments that were made without this feature. However within the total population I find that these these early instruments are few and far between. Of the greater part of the concertina population I think it is fair to say that the manufacturers did not go to the expense of bushing lower grade instruments.

What I think I said was that key bushings are an indicator of a good instrument standard, what I did not say was that the absence of key bushing was necessarily confirmation of a poor instrument.

Afterall, many anglo instruments were made with relatively large bone keys, and I don't recall that I have ever seen bone keys bushed, even on these good quality anglos. As an aside, I have wondered about if there may be a problem between sliding bone through felt, some form of pick-up perhaps, or if the bone is inherently too rough?

Dave

Dave:"What I think I said was that key bushings are an indicator of a good instrument standard, what I did not say was that the absence of key bushing was necessarily confirmation of a poor instrument."

Goran:I agree that historically you certainly find key bushings on ...'better'... or rather... 'top line'... instruments. Another issue is whether the bushings have any musical significance. I would say it is marginal if any. From my viewpoint the advantage is less noise. There could be some friction difference but that is entirely depending on the interaction between at least two materials and the measures as well. I have wondered about the origin of the bushed v. unbushed tradition. It is hardly by accident that the wood hole diameters use to be the same, often 1/4" I think, and then unbushed 6mm bone buttons may be used and with bushing in the same hole 4,75-5mm buttons.

With 'soft' bushings you soon get sideways play in the holes which is a considerable disadvantage. With a 'hard' hole and larger button this is less disturbing.

Dave:"Afterall, many anglo instruments were made with relatively large bone keys, and I don't recall that I have ever seen bone keys bushed, even on these good quality anglos."

Goran: I use 6mm buttons on most instruments and usually I just take the bushings away using no replacement of them if the holes are fitting well enough anyway. I see no problem at all with bone or metal in wooden holes. PVC buttons have a little more friction unless not very well polished and may stick a little easier with the wood sometimes.

Dave:" As an aside, I have wondered about if there may be a problem between sliding bone through felt, some form of pick-up perhaps, or if the bone is inherently too rough?"

Goran: Absolutely no problem at all. You can polish bone to very high finish with so little friction I can hardly believe there is any important difference to metal. The PVC buttons I mostly use cause no problems in their bushings either.

Another matter is that IF your aim is making a technically and musically 'ideal' button none of the traditional models likely would be the result....The traditional choice like with much else likely is the result of what is easily available, attractive for processing, cheap, or having 'market attraction' (like silver, gold, glass...)....

not entirely or even firstly 'purposeful'....

Goran Rahm

Dave