Jeffries Bros Concertina

I was just given a beautiful Jeffries Bros. Concertina, 23 Praed St., London.W. with a case, lined with blue velvet and appears to be in "close to" mint condition. It actually looks as though it was never used!

I have never seen one before nor do I know anything about them, but have started researching on the internet to try to find out more about this instrument. I would like to find someone who could help me find out about it with correspondence.....I am interested in selling it and have no idea how to proceed ......can you help me? I have some digital files with images to help with identifying it..........is ebay the best way to try to sell it? Or do you kow of some special interest group that is interested in this Concertina.

Thanks very much, Juanita Wolff

Potentially a quite valuable instrumen, but I would echo Stephen's words and ask for photographs. If you want to sell it the Buy & Sell forum here would be just as effective at reaching interested pople, a lot cheaper and probably safer than eBay. But I would also say: have you considered learning to play it?

Chris

Did the person who gave you the instrument know they were giving you something worth a few thousand dollars at a minimum, and potentially more than a few depending on the type and pitch? That was a heck of a gift!

Before you sell it, you might try listening to some recordings of good concertina players. Many good players have sound clips on their web sites and there are a lot of good CD's out there. There is a lot that can be done with the instrument (any of the different types ) and you may discover you actually like it enough to learn it. ( Pete Seeger once had a peanuts cartoon on the back of book on how to read music that said " every child should be issued a banjo when they are born" Great sentiment, but some of us think they should be issued a concertina. Both would lead to a happier world)

In any case, good luck with the instrument. You will do well by it no matter what route you take.

Dana

I was just given a beautiful Jeffries Bros. Concertina, 23 Praed St., London.W. with a case, lined with blue velvet and appears to be in "close to" mint condition. It actually looks as though it was never used!

As everybody says above, we can't tell you much about it without photos, but we can tell you that its probably around 90 years old, give or take ten years.

Juanita, Re Photos:

I was under the impression that after you choes a file using the button below the reply window, you could click the add this attachment button and either have it come up in the forum. or as a link people could click on in the forum. That is what I've done before with other things.

Dana

I hope Juanita is able to post some pictures. She sent me some by email and it appears that she has a lovely 50b Jeffries Bros. duet. She still has to confirm that the bellows direction does not effect a button's note, but I'm fairly sure it is a duet. Looks to be in very nice condition.

Greg

She sent me some [pictures] by email and it appears that she has a lovely 50b Jeffries Bros. duet. She still has to confirm that the bellows direction does not effect a button's note, but I'm fairly sure it is a duet.

Same here, and I asked her the same question, but I was waiting for her to answer before I posted about it.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I have never seen one before nor do I know anything about them, but have started researching on the internet to try to find out more about this instrument. I would like to find someone who could help me find out about it with correspondence.....I am interested in selling it and have no idea how to proceed ......can you help me? I have some digital files with images to help with identifying it..........is ebay the best way to try to sell it? Or do you kow of some special interest group that is interested in this Concertina.

Thanks very much, Juanita Wolff

i always thought stuff like this didnt happen anymore....

Co-incidentally John Vernon came over to our session last night, and his Jeffries duet also bears more than a passing resemblance to Juanita's. He played some superb music on it.

Chris

Haven't seen him in years, but I remember him being a very nice player. Maybe I'll get to hear him again some day.

Gav

The photographs give me a very strange feeling - blue velvet and all, the spitting image of the concertina that was given me for a birthday present in Blackburn Lancashire in 1959 and stolen from the back seat of a car in Burgos, Spain in the late 1970s. I was lucky to find a replacement, they are rare.

Yes ! these are beautiful instruments. Juanita, hear one played before you sell. You just might change your mind.

Michael

The photographs give me a very strange feeling - blue velvet and all, the spitting image of the concertina that was given me for a birthday present in Blackburn Lancashire in 1959 and stolen from the back seat of a car in Burgos, Spain in the late 1970s. I was lucky to find a replacement, they are rare.

Yes ! these are beautiful instruments. Juanita, hear one played before you sell. You just might change your mind.

Michael

Welcome to the Forum, Michael. Are you playing much nowadays?

We've never met, but your playing of the Jeffries Duet is legendary!

Regards,

Peter.

Wow,

This is a lovely instrument, very much like my own. I'm with the others, Juanita, you should hear what this delightful and powerful beast can be made to do before you part with it. Ask Michael Hebbert for a tape, CD, or LP of his amazing album The Ramping Cat!

If you decide you'd rather be a holder of cash rather than a buddding concertinist, then this is a great forum to sell the instrument as everyone who plays one of these is either here or is known by someone here who would be happy to spread the word.

Just don't sell it to anyone that intends to convert it into an Anglo, which would be an abomination before Deus Concertinii!

Nick Robertshaw

If you decide you'd rather be a holder of cash rather than a buddding concertinist, then this is a great forum to sell the instrument as everyone who plays one of these is either here or is known by someone here who would be happy to spread the word.

Just don't sell it to anyone that intends to convert it into an Anglo, which would be an abomination before Deus Concertinii!

Gosh, this thread is really bringing the Jeffries duet players out of the woodwork. Good to hear from you, Nick. Given the price that Jeffries duets are currently going for I think it unlikely the buyer would convert it. There seems to be a surge of interest in the system for its own sake. Jolly good, say I.

In an email Juanita has told me why she feels she has to sell this lovely concertina, and it's a good reason. I hope it goes to a good home.

Chris

Gosh, this thread is really bringing the Jeffries duet players out of the woodwork. Good to hear from you, Nick. Given the price that Jeffries duets are currently going for I think it unlikely the buyer would convert it. There seems to be a surge of interest in the system for its own sake. Jolly good, say I.

In an email Juanita has told me why she feels she has to sell this lovely concertina, and it's a good reason. I hope it goes to a good home.

Chris

I am interested in providing a very nice home for this concertina. I will take it out for tunes and love it lots. I would like to know what key it is in and what size it is across the flats. And what prices similar JD's have changed hands for recently.

Juanita should get at least that for it. More if there's several people interested.