Juliette Et Le Concertina

PeterT

For those who marvelled at the tune files which Juliette (squeezora) posted, in June, the wait is over. Juliette's first CD "Juliette et le Concertina" is available.

Music on this CD covers the Renaissance, Baroque, Romantic and Modern periods. High quality recordings, in digital stereo, played on English Treble and Baritone concertinas.

For a sample of Juliette's playing (original mono recordings), check out this link:

http://www.anglo-concertina.net/links.htm

Availability is as follows:

UK only - will be available from myself at £12.00 + £2.00 P&P; please enquire for details of availability. The first batch has almost sold through, but I am expecting further copies in time for "Concertinas at Witney", later this month.

Rest of the World - please contact Juliette, direct, for prices.

Note: Juliette has asked me to add the following:

E-mail address: squeezora@hotmail.com

Peter T.

Edited by PeterT

And what's the best way to contact Juliette directly?

For those who marvelled at the tune files which Juliette (squeezora) posted, in June, the wait is over. Juliette's first CD "Juliette et le Concertina" is available.

Music on this CD covers the Renaissance, Baroque, Romantic and Modern periods. High quality recordings, in digital stereo, played on English Treble and Baritone concertinas.

For a sample of Juliette's playing (original mono recordings), check out this link:

http://www.anglo-concertina.net/links.htm

Availability is as follows:

UK only - will be available from myself at £12.00 + P&P; please enquire for details of availability. The first batch has almost sold through, but I am expecting further copies in time for "Concertinas at Witney", later this month.

Rest of the World - please contact Juliette, direct, for prices.

Peter T.

Hi Daniel,

To answer your query:

(1) At the top/right of the screen, click on "Members".

(2) In the drop-down box, click on "S", then scroll down to the bottom of the page and change the default from "10" to "50", and page through the members whose name begins with "S" (50 per page saves time paging through).

(3) Send personal message.

I've not posted Juliette's mail address to avoid Spam mails.

Note for "Guests": this means that you will need to sign up as a member, before you can contact Juliette. I'll post, again, when Juliette's web site is "up and running".

Regards,

Peter.

(1) At the top/right of the screen, click on "Members".

(2) In the drop-down box, click on "S", then scroll down to the bottom of the page and change the default from "10" to "50", and page through the members whose name begins with "S" (50 per page saves time paging through).

(3) Send personal message.

Peter, you missed a step. Looking through the "s" names won't find "Juliette". One has to know that her C.net name is "squeezora".

But knowing that, when searching the Members, just put "squeezora" (without the quotes) into the "Member Name begins with" box at the bottom (you can simply copy it from this post and paste it when you get there) and then hit ENTER. No need to scroll, since there'll only be one match.

And for anyone who doesn't know what to do next, you then click on the underlined "squeezora" name in the Member List (at that point only one member long), and on the page which that brings up you'll find the "Send a Personal Message" option to click on.

As someone who has been lucky enough to purchase a copy of her CD from the first batch, directly from Peter T, and after carefully listenening to it through several times, I feel qualified to be able to say in my best French: "C'est magnifique et sans pareil!." Now, DO all rush out and buy a copy, while stocks last!

Chris

Edited by Chris Drinkwater

DEAR PETER T. Would it be possible to get a "review" copy of the CD for PICA?

Allan Atlas

Hi Allan,

I'm sure that if you were to contact Juliette, direct, she would be happy to supply a copy for review purposes, as many International Concertina Association members will not be C.net Forum members.

Regards,

Peter.

PS - I look forward to hearing your contribution to English International.

I'm sure that if you were to contact Juliette, direct, she would be happy to supply a copy for review purposes, as many International Concertina Association members will not be C.net Forum members.

Regards,

Peter.

How about submitting your own review for publication in the next Concertina World?

- John

How about submitting your own review for publication in the next Concertina World?

Hi John,

Nice idea, but the review needs to be objective, not subjective. I guess that I could ask whether another Forum member would be prepared to review for "Concertina World" (if I understand correctly, Allan's offer to review for PICA would be for a later publication date).

Regards,

Peter.

Nice idea, but the review needs to be objective, not subjective.

Bull! Unless it's just a dry iteration of the contained tracks -- which you can find on Juliette's web site -- there ain't no such thing as "objective". It's all according to the reviewer's personal taste. (I admit I'm trusting you not to lie simply because she's your friend, but I'm quite certain I'm safe on that.)

The closest that can be gotten to "objective" is to have reviews/opinions from several different people. And why not? Surely this CD is important enough for Concertina World to allow space for that. Peter, your review could be one of several, but even alone it would surely be more appropriate than none at all. And who knows, they might even get an unappreciative review in the mix... though I doubt it. :)

Edited by JimLucas

The closest that can be gotten to "objective" is to have reviews/opinions from several different people. And why not? Surely this CD is important enough for Concertina World to allow space for that.

Guess that you've talked me into it, Jim. :)

Regards,

Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

For UK members; good news! I have just received a further delivery of Juliette's CD. Available from myself at £12.00 + £2.00 P&P, or save on the postage if you are attending the "Concertinas at Witney" event, this weekend, when I will have copies available.

Regards,

Peter.

For UK members; good news! I have just received a further delivery of Juliette's CD. Available from myself at £12.00 + £2.00 P&P, or save on the postage if you are attending the "Concertinas at Witney" event, this weekend, when I will have copies available.

Regards,

Peter.

Just a quick "thank you" to all the C.net members who bought copies of Juliette's CD at the weekend. I'm sure that you will be delighted with it.

Regards,

Peter.

• 6 months later...

Slowly catching up on the posts that accumulated while I was "away", I'm amazed to discover that in spite of the indication that many folks have bought Juliette's Juliette et le Concertina CD, I haven't been able to find an actual review here on Concertina.net. Not even one from Peter, nor yet one from me. Only Chris Drinkwater's enthusiastic, "C'est magnifique et sans pareil!."

Well, Peter's review can be found on this page of Juliette's web site, just after the one by "Marianne". My own, long overdue (Juliette personally sent me my copy back in September), follows. I'm sure others have comments they'd like to share, no? Especially since we're told she'll have another CD coming out soon.

What to say? It's lovely! Lovely music and lovely playing.

Historically, very little music has been written specifically for concertina, but listening to Juliette's playing, one could easily believe that all of these pieces had been. She has taken music written for lute, baroque keyboard, accordion, guitar... and made it sound "native" to the (English) concertina.

I praise Juliette not only for her playing, but for her composition, as I understand that these arrangements and interpretations are her own. She understands her instrument and its capabilities, and whether she has made significant adjustments to the originals or almost none, to me each arrangement sounds "just right".

I must say that I usually prefer chamber music to symphony orchestras, and Juliette's playing reminds me why. Oh, I love great orchestras and large church organs... but in moderation, not all the time. They lack the intimacy and clarity of the small ensemble, where you can not only hear the individual instruments, but feel how they respond to each other. The unaccompanied soloist takes this one step further, providing a sense of ensemble from a single instrument.

And that's Juliette. Her harmonies are neither too heavy nor too delicate, but it's more than that. She uses the ringing warmth of her instrument's voice with an expression that complements each individual arrangement, treating the "notes" neither as masters to be obeyed nor as servants to be controlled, but as equal partners in artistic endeavor. As just one example, her playing of Regondi's
Leisure Moments No. 2
, one of the few pieces actually written for concertina, is not as brisk as Douglas Rogers' interpretation and abandons the piano accompaniment, but as she plays it, it doesn't seem to be lacking anything. Juliette's interpretation is different from Douglas', but equally beautiful and "complete".

I admire Juliette's taste as much as her artistry. Her selection of pieces is beautiful and varied, but not chaotic. Her arrangements are beautifully suited to both her instruments and her own style of playing. And the technical quality of the sound is excellent.

I understand that Juliette plans more CD's in the near future, starting with one that will be entirely of pieces by J.S. Bach. I can hardly wait!