Wizard Anglo On Ebay - Any Thoughts?

Chris Timson

This one's got even its vendor, Chris Algar, puzzled.
These were previously discussed in this thread, with the conclusion that they were probably made by Bastari.

And after all the confusion about "the anatomy [being] clearly English" in that earlier thread, I'm comforted to read Chris Algar's reference to "the bellows looking far more like those on a late Wheatstone", not forgetting the way the hand straps are attached to their rails, and the red paint visible inside. :unsure:

So being insatiably curious (and some might say odd? :rolleyes: ), I bought it!

Will report more when it arrives from Chris Algar.

This looks exactly like my recent Bastari, as was said already. If you don't have the model airline tubing yet, you will at some point. I like the sound of these, and I did have a decent Lachenal years ago

stevejay said:
Stephen Chambers said:

This looks exactly like my recent Bastari, as was said already.

Steve,

I'm sorry to disagree :( , but if it "look[ed] exactly like [your] recent Bastari" then I wouldn't have bothered to buy it, and there wouldn't be two threads (started independently, by people who've seen plenty of Anglos) about these puzzling "Wizard Anglos". :unsure:

But it may well represent a very early stage in the devlopment of Dr. Marcello Bastari's Anglos, when the influence of Wheatstone designs was much more evident than it became later. (And Bastari's bellows were of much better quality too. ;) )

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I read somewhere on the net that the Wizzard brand is/was a popular beginners' 3 row concertina in South Africa. Think I Googled "konsertina", but can't find the reference now :(

Maybe they were made specifically for that market, which is why they are rarely found elsewhere.

MC

Edited to re-spell konsertina....

Edited by malcolm clapp

Great! I'm looking forward to your report. I tried to get Chris to post some inside pictures on eBay while the listing was active, but it didn't happen.

I read somewhere on the net that the Wizzard brand is/was a popular beginners' 3 row concertina in South Africa. (...)

Could you have seen that in the thread that I mentioned in my earlier post (above) and was since added to by Stephen?

Daniel

I read somewhere on the net that the Wizzard brand is/was a popular beginners' 3 row concertina in South Africa. (...)

Could you have seen that in the thread that I mentioned in my earlier post (above) and was since added to by Stephen?

Daniel

No, but I have now! :D

I was actually looking last night at a South African site while listening to a boeremusiek(sp) streaming audio of a radio show "Konsertinaklub" on RSG. Unfortunately, it isn't archived or podcast, and the normal weekly broadcast time is somewhere around 2am here in Oz. But yesterday it was on much earlier because of international sports broadcasting committments (Rugby Union).

Now if I could just find that site again.... :(

Edited by malcolm clapp

Now if I could just find that site again.... :(

Found it!

Here.

Click on What is Boer Music?

Then click in Instruments.

About half way down the new page it mentions Wizzard.

Interesting site if you haven't been there before.

Sorry if this has already been discussed previously.

MC

Edited by malcolm clapp

Found it!

Here.

Click on What is Boer Music?

Then click in Instruments.

About half way down the new page it mentions Wizzard.

Indeed it does, though "mention" is (frustratingly) the operative word :huh:, saying only :

Other makes are "Gallotone" and "Wizzard".

I was hoping it might cast a little more light than that ... :(

Indeed it does, though "mention" is (frustratingly) the operative word :huh:, saying only :

Other makes are "Gallotone" and "Wizzard".

I was hoping it might cast a little more light than that ... :(

Ah yes, but it led you, and, hopefully, others to a site of potential interest! (I'm learning the tricks of the spammers B). They promised me lots of goodies to get you there, as long as I didn't mention the Rugby!)

:o Whoops, that's twice!

MC

Edited by malcolm clapp