Big Mystery

I have in my possesion a CD of an unknown player or players.It also has two tracks of a superb Concertina Band.It is a CD that was sent to me with other archive material for possible use on English or Duet International.It is part of the private recordings of the late Jim Harvey.I have listened to this CD for hours now, as initially I thought it was two or three players,the playing is so tight however ,that I think it is one superb player.The jury is out on this as four of these CDs has been sent to selected players and we have a split decision as to how many players it is.It is also difficult to detect if it is a Duet or English as there are a lot of counter melodies going on.There was a past posting on C.net regarding a similar tape from the same source and the tape was marked ALF & KEN this could stand for Alf Edwards and The Kensington Concertina Band.If it is Alf then it is an important find. The sad thing is this CD could never be issued as we do not know the artist and also we do not know what they are playing.

A real Concertina Mystery.If there are any developments I will let you know.Iris Bishop is back from Australia next week ,I will be interested what she says. Howard Rosenblum has also been sent a copy and he heard a lot of the players at the old ICA meetings and may recognise who it is (they are).

Al

and the tape was marked ALF & KEN this could stand for Alf Edwards and The Kensington Concertina Band.

I'm only speculating, but this could mean Alf Edwards and Father Kenneth Loveless.

- john Wild

and the tape was marked ALF & KEN this could stand for Alf Edwards and The Kensington Concertina Band.

I'm only speculating, but this could mean Alf Edwards and Father Kenneth Loveless.

- john Wild

John, with all due respect to the late Father Ken, great character and player that he was, Alan's description of the quality of the playing does not sound to me like his style. Certainly the two would have known each other, but I somehow cannot imagine them playing together. In fact, of all the older generation ICA players I have met and heard, (and heard about), I would be hard pressed to think of two more contrasting styles and personalities!

But then again....

The sad thing is this CD could never be issued as we do not know the artist and also we do not know what they are playing.

Why should that be so? As long as the information it's issued with honestly presents the uncertainties, why should it be withheld from the public?

Imagine not permitting people to view Stonehenge, simply because we don't know the names of those who built it. :unsure:

Copyright issues? Only possible if someone does know who the performers are, and has evidence to prove it. But that's just what you're asking for now!

I have just had an Email from somebody else who has the same recording.With Excitement I read on,

but I also do not have the name of the artist. AAAAAA

He thinks it is not Alf Edwards and I can go along with that after hearing a bit of his playing.

The mystery deepens.

I had a word with Graham about your point Jim ,but it was on the back of finding out who it is.

This is early days yet,I am sure there is more to follow.

Al

Edited to say that one way of finding out is to issue it on English International and someone will write in and say it should have been on Duet.

Edited by Alan Day

I spoke to Jim Ward last night and he has put these recordings on computer and he agrees with me that it is one person playing at three levels at the same time, with no crossovers. John Wild (that well known comedian) has agreed to check the ICA archives of tunes to players.So the hunt goes on.

The interesting part of the playing is that the player is vamping as accompaniment (LH)but at the same time playing runs as an addition(LH).The effect is that it sounds like two or even three players playing at the same time.

Al

The interesting part of the playing is that the player is vamping as accompaniment (LH)but at the same time playing runs as an addition(LH).The effect is that it sounds like two or even three players playing at the same time.

It will be interesting to see what John turns up.

This description does suggest a duet concertina of some type.

Regards,

Peter.

As one of the lucky ones who have heard this mystery recording (and failed totally to make any constructive contribution to solving the mystery) I have realised how totally ignorant I am of the mechanics of playing the English System. I certainly assumed more than one instrument on a few of the tracks, but I'd be pleased to learn some extra information. Specifically: what is the practical range of notes available at any time? I realise that big boxes have a wider range, (I remember the enormous ones that used to be on display in Judd Street) but how far can the hand stretch? Is it physically possible to play the extremes of the wider ranges at the same time? I don't just mean one high note and one low one, but the full melody and counter melody that can be heard on Alan's recordings. Also as Alan has said there are examples of extensive chord vamping below the tune, which certainly suggests two instruments to me.

Let's not forget Geoff Crabb's statement that the English was never intended to be a solo instrument!

And NO. It certainly isn't Ken Loveless!

I think the older ICA members may hold the key to this if they can be located.

All best wishes

Roger

I am trying to arrange for one track of this CD to be posted here,so that you can all hear what we are talking about.It may also jog somebody's memory as to who the player(s) is (are). Unfortunately my computer skills are such as to not be able to do this myself so be patient,it will happen. Some of the tracks are very complicated and sound impossible,but I thought that when I heard John Kirkpatrick play Gigue.

Al

Edited by Alan Day