Pinewoods?

Just checking before I head off on the four day drive (broken up with visits to many relatives)--

Any c-neters going to English Scottish session or Scottish 1?

Larry, good for you, for winning the grand lottery! I've found that it's just too complicated to try and win a spot at Pinewoods with the folk mafiosi who control Pinewoods. Would love to go sometime. Was there a few years ago for Labor Day; the biting bugs and humidity were overwhelming!

...the biting bugs and humidity were overwhelming!

The bugs didn't bother me (they rarely do; I think I must taste bad), but I remember the humidity: I had a book that I never opened all week, and it still wound up with all the pages curled as if it had been dropped in a bucket of water. :(

Hi Larry. I'll be at both Scottish sessions, so I guess we'll overlap during Scottish I. I look forward to meeting you there. Will you be taking the music class led by Dave Wiesler? He's a great musician, a fantastic teacher, and a really nice guy. I'll be the one in there with an English concertina.

A lot of you seem to have had bad experiences at Pinewoods. Yes, it gets humid there some years, but it's still a heck of a lot of fun, very relaxing, and there are lots and lots of great people there. Besides, if you get too hot there are the ponds to go swimming in. As for the people running it, different sessions are run by different groups, so if you have a bad experience with one group, try a different session run by someone else. I've been going to the Scottish sessions for 15 years, and this year was the first time I ever even had to be on the waiting list (session I was apparently overbooked by 20% this year), but my wife and I got in several weeks ago, in plenty of time to make plans. I can't wait to get there!

:)

Steven

I tried and got in to English-and-American this year, but a combination of unforeseen factors made me have to give it up in order to visit my dad in Seattle this August instead. I've heard wonderful things over the years but have never been able to get to Pinewoods- maybe next year.

...the biting bugs and humidity were overwhelming!

The bugs didn't bother me (they rarely do; I think I must taste bad), but I remember the humidity: I had a book that I never opened all week, and it still wound up with all the pages curled as if it had been dropped in a bucket of water. :(

When I was on staff for a folk music camp that fell on the Labor Day week, I eventually got used to the strange sensation of putting on damp clothes every morning. But what a great place! I had a ball.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd report--

The English Scottish Session had three English concertinas present and playing in the band class. The Scottish Session I had two EC's (Steven and me) and an anglo (used for sea shanties in the ceilidh).

The weather varied from hot and humid to gorgeous. The dance pavillions are wonderful. The music was fabulous, and the dancing was superb.

In case you hadn't guessed, I had a ball. (Well, actually there were two balls while I was there...)

Larry

Greetings from Pinewoods Early Music Week. I just discovered a WiFi signal on the PCI manager's porch. Who woulda thunk.

Three concertinas here this week (me with a Hayden, others have an English and an Anglo). Rumors of another English I haven't seen.

Tuesday is kind of a "night off" hence time for this nonsense, after playing for the camper dance.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from Pinewoods a few days, now, but my first chance to visit concertina.net. Somebody at Pinewoods wrote a limerick about the phenomenon of people gathering with their laptops around the building with the WiFi.

There's a glow, not the moon, in the trees.

It's the screens of the Macs and PCs.

They've discovered perfection:

A broadband connection!

But could the music be a little quieter, please?

[from memory: apologies for any inaccuracies]

And for the concertina content: Turns out there were (at least) 5 concertinas there last week. Two EC, two Anglo, and my Hayden. We all met briefly to see what we could do together, and although we included someone who had bought her first concertina (an Italian Anglo) moments earlier in the silent auction, we had some fun with easy tunes. Here's me playing for some cloggers last Friday. In the blue is Jan Elliott, a fine EC player.

post-65-1153974303_thumb.jpg

I've found that it's just too complicated to try and win a spot at Pinewoods with the folk mafiosi who control Pinewoods.

I can vouch for the truth in that statement. But Anne and I did guest one year at the Washington Getaway, which we still both remember as possibly the most fun we've ever had at a folk event (even though it was dry [sigh]).

Chris

In the blue is Jan Elliott, a fine EC player.

And I can vouch for this statement. Jan is fantastic, especially for morris music.

And the one time I went to Pinewoods (as a kid) I had a fantastic time. So if you can go, do go.