Band Names

Oh I don't know, I feel a need to be kind to Bodhran players. My wife is learning at the moment because she enjoys hitting things...
Get her to learn to play the snare drum. Much nicer with English music.

Personally I would much prefer the effect of the instrument that was replaced by those two, in both Irish and English traditional music; the humble tambourine (not shaken, but struck with the hand!).

Within living memory England and Ireland seem to have shared a common tradition of tambourine playing, best exemplified in old recordings of the playing of Rabbidy Baxter in England, or Seamus Tansey in Ireland, but it seems to be forgotten now. I sometimes wonder if I'm the only person who plays it these days? :unsure:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a Scottish band called ' Ceilidh Minogue ' i believe

dave

I remember that one.

I also remember "The Incredible Fling Band", who came from Ullapool.

Current names that spring to mind are

"Hugh MacDairmid's Haircut"

"Robbie Shepherd's Nightmare"

(Robbie Shepherd is a Scottish music presenter on BBC Radio Scotland)

don't know how true this is but I recall someone saying that Seamus Ennis said that the best way to play bodhran was with a stanley knife. may be one of these apochryphal? tales tho

Dunno about Seamus, but I know for a fact that it's been said by quite a few people. And not a few of them sounded quite serious about it. B)

...tambourine playing, best exemplified in old recordings of the playing of Rabbidy Baxter in England, or Seamus Tansey in Ireland,...

Is that the same Seamus Tansey that I know as a flute player, or another one?

Some of my favorite band names are plays on tune names.

Examples: a local contra dance band called Whiskers Before Breakfast.

And the Madison, Wisc. band: THe Last Gaspe (all contra dance bands are required by law to play Gaspe Reel).

...tambourine playing, best exemplified in old recordings of the playing of Rabbidy Baxter in England, or Seamus Tansey in Ireland,...
Is that the same Seamus Tansey that I know as a flute player, or another one?

The very same Jim. Take a listen to the album of himself & Eddie Corcoran that Bill Leader recorded in the Masters of Irish Music series, nearly 40 years ago, and you'll hear some extremely lively tambourine playing. One of Seamus' fondest memories would be of the Wren boys with their "three-quarter flutes" and tambourines one Christmas when he was a child, it made a huge impression on him & he was never the same after hearing them! There was a strong tradition of playing flute & tambourine in the South Sligo region, hence the old recordings of John Reynolds with flute player Tom Morrison on 78s.

Another recording of an Irish tambourine player is on the Joe Cooley album. where his brother Jack accompanies him on it.

Personally I would much prefer the effect of the instrument that was replaced by those two, in both Irish and English traditional music; the humble tambourine (not shaken, but struck with the hand!).

Danny Stradling style? I'd have no problem with that. Mrs Woody: are you listening?

Chris

Edited to add PS: Stephen, do you remember teaching me the basics of playing the bodhran in the cafe area of C# House back in about 1975?

Edited by Chris Timson

Danny Stradling style?

Not from what I heard on the Oak album ... :huh:

Edited to add PS: Stephen, do you remember teaching me the basics of playing the bodhran in the cafe area of C# House back in about 1975?

How embarrassing for you, I hope you made a full recovery! ;)

Oh I don't know, I feel a need to be kind to Bodhran players. My wife is learning at the moment because she enjoys hitting things...
Get her to learn to play the snare drum. Much nicer with English music.

Within living memory England and Ireland seem to have shared a common tradition of tambourine playing, best exemplified in old recordings of the playing of Rabbidy Baxter in England, or Seamus Tansey in Ireland, but it seems to be forgotten now. I sometimes wonder if I'm the only person who plays it these days? :unsure:

they play it extensively in choro, a traditional music from brazil. its called the pandeiro, and is a little different than the typical tambourine, in that it can be tuned, and the bells arent so annoying. i have a friend from brazil who plays it, and it is truly an amazing instrument. the complexities of technique and sounds that can be made on the pandeiro are surprising, compared to the stigma of tambourine in popular society as an instrument played by people who cant play instruments. the soundsi can think of off the top of my head that really astound me are when my friend does a sort of shakey / drumroll thing by dragging her finger up the drum and when my friend makes dips and splash noises on the pandeiro.

i tried to get her to play it with me in irish music, but she said it sounded horrible when we did. i dont know if she was referring to her playing ability or the instrument combination itself. she wants to learn the bodhran, so when she does, we'll see if she'll give it another try.

they play it extensively in choro, a traditional music from brazil. its called the pandeiro, and is a little different than the typical tambourine, in that it can be tuned, and the bells arent so annoying.
Physicist and all-around character Richard Feynman played the pandeiro (and later the frigidera), and wrote about his experience playing in a Brazilian Samba group in Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman. Edited by Theodore Kloba

Well there was a trio who called themselves Wheatstone Bridge

I suppose they didn't have an ohm to go to?

My fave bandname must be the The Flying Chaucers from Canterbury although the Sussex Pistols still must get the usual question "Is that johnny rotten?".

• 3 months later...
There was a strong tradition of playing flute & tambourine in the South Sligo region, hence the old recordings of John Reynolds with flute player Tom Morrison on 78s.

Meanwhile, myself and my tambourine are just back, after a very enjoyable weekend, from the Michael Coleman Memorial in Gurteen, Co. Sligo, the heartland for that style of traditional music.

Another recording of an Irish tambourine player is on the Joe Cooley album. where his brother Jack accompanies him on it.

And if you would like to see, and hear, what I'm talking about, then take a look at this clip (which has only recently surfaced) of Joe Cooley, his brother Jack on tambourine and Desie Mulkere on tenor banjo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-K8wsVWqxc

Awesome! :) :) :) :) :)

Edited for an n too far (Dublin'?)

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Judging from the recent postings in another thread, this might have some legs.

For a one-off gig with two melodeon players (one and two row), we went under the name of "Captain Kharzi and the Galloping Majors". Not really sure how well received it was :unsure: .

I while later, I had a dance band for two or three years. Line-up fiddle, fiddle/hammered dulcimer, melodeon, concertina. I was a lot more conservative, here, and the band was called "The Mad Hatters".

So, how about some really wacky names, either actual, or yet to happen.

I played with an outfit including squeezer Ralph Jordan and non-squeezers Andy Lamb, Trevor Bennett and Chris Pitt that gloried in the name of The Hackney Martians. Thought about being the Woolwich Fairies and the Cambridge Heathens also, but one wans't comprehensible to anyone outside east London and the other just wasn't us...

And before that there was Melons for Ecstacy, a title derived from an insane 'novel' by the same title. I don't recommend it especially, but the name did stick in people's minds, for good or ill.

Gavin

And before that there was Melons for Ecstacy, a title derived from an insane 'novel' by the same title. I don't recommend it especially, but the name did stick in people's minds, for good or ill.

And there was I, thinking that it was something to do with one of the band members!

Regards,

Peter.