Why Do We Go To Session?

Firstly, I am back. I suddenly became a guest unable to log on and post.I expect Wanadoo had something to do with it.

A lovely posting Mark.

I have sent in many posts regarding sessions and from the moment I started Folk Music I enjoy that aspect of making music whilst enjoying other peoples company. Always on the way back from a session I remember tunes I should have played and did not.A session is never the same,sometimes quiet,sometimes noisy.Never the same group of players turn up and how nice when old friends like Allison, Peter,Red and Jim turn up for a play.

Peter writes about Mandy Murray's session at Brighton. When I was putting Anglo International together Vic Smith told me about Mandy's unusual style and if I was interested I could see her the following day at Brighton.Like Peter I was captivated by her playing,charm and the fact had great difficulty taking my eyes off her.Apart from her good looks ,she absolutely adores playing.She has a very hard and difficult life and with a mixture of music and Guiness she just lives the playing moment.I have only been to her session once as it is mostly Irish music ,but they were quiet and appreciative of what I played that evening.

Yes it is my fault

nice to be back

Al

Edited by Alan Day

It's good to have you back, Alan! Actually, the last session I played at was at the George last August! I'm just far enough away to have no good access to any session. So every now and then I gather friends together, but it's not regular enough for me.

Every Weds, I load up the concertinas and hit Washington's hideously congested Beltway to travel 25 miles to a session

Every Tuesday I load up the concertinas and hit the seldom congested 203/Main Street in the other Washington, and drive the approximately 3 minutes to the local session.

I think this spring, once the road is paved into old town, I'll just walk...

--Dave

Guest Old Leaky

Er, what's a session? Maybe if I turn over enough rocks, I'll find one (Irish, preferably) in my neck of the woods in the central belt of Scotland. It seems to me that the "tradition" (other than the ubiquitous "box and fiddle club") is just not strong enough here to sustain regular sesssions within a reasoanble commute. Cross refer to the thread "A Real Dumb Question" and discuss. Better still, prove me wrong, please.

There's always someone, usually female, who wants to give everyone the 24 verse cautionary tale about the woman/man who got involved with a man/woman and possibly drink/revolution and ruined their life in a thoroughly predictable way. Am I the only person who loathes sitting there politely while they grind through these miserable laments, unaccompanied and in flat lifeless tones ? Alternatively, do you all grin and bear it too? (be honest,now)

Am I the only person who loathes sitting there politely while they grind through these miserable laments, unaccompanied and in flat lifeless tones ? Alternatively, do you all grin and bear it too? (be honest,now)

:lol: No you are not. For me, I wouldn't say "loathes". Being a singer and an ex-voice teacher I always give them my energy silently (wears me out to breathe with them and pray to St.Cecilia at the same time). It is a very old Irish tradition for the singer to present a cappella and boy is that ever the hardest thing in the world to do...well. I have certainly wished for a little editing. The verses don't all have to be there.

When asked to sing Boulavogue I give er' a rousing go, but only sing two verses. It's just too bloody. I also insist that folks play along as it gives me a rest between the verses (the thing is certainly pitched high and less than full voice can't do justice).

I always thank a singer for their efforts (I know it enourages some who should not be, but I can't help it). Singing good or bad is a very naked experience and in standing there before a group alone, they risk all. Suggestion: Have a pint handy while a particularly problematical singer is giving voice :blink: . It might not sound better, but you will feel better ;)

Edited by Mark Evans

You're a bit further west Old Leaky but there's plenty of Irish sessions in Glasgow. On the other hand I have been asked umpteen times what kind of accordion that is. I don't think contertinas are very common in Glasgow. Must be karma me visiting Glasgow though, on the inside of my concertina the original owner has written their name and address in pencil, Glasgow 1928!

Am I the only person who loathes sitting there politely while they grind through these miserable laments, unaccompanied and in flat lifeless tones ?

Given your handle of "Dirge", I thought these would be right up your street!

Chris

would have saved me great pain if I did. It's a nickname that's followed me since school days, and I probably wouldn't use it if I thought it might be appropriate, if you see what I mean.