Morris Dancing In British Films

Close. In fact, the tune the orchestra's playing (Roxburgh Castle) is used in Morris Dancing for "The Fool's Jig" (but considerably slower).

"The Fish Slapping Dance" (but a more elaborate version of it) has made it to Broadway, by the way. It is the first scene of "Spamalot."

Anyone visiting this thread, looking for references to "concertina" (three, so far), must be wondering what this is all about.

I have to say that this is a lot more fun! I really liked the Spamalot clip, but will not volunteer to try and explain the British sense of humour.

Keep it up! :lol:

Regards,

Peter.

The Beaux of London City appeared in one of the St. Trinians films

I always thought it was Westminster MM in the St Trinian's film. I'm sure I remember their portcullis badges

Yes, it was the Westminster Men in a rather orange version version of their kit rather than the current yellow. The fool was Jack Hamilton, more known perhaps with the Beaux of London City. The musician (Piano Accordion) was Dennis Smith.

The Beaux of London City were in a film in a faregroound sequence but I can't remember the name of the film. The story is that the extras wanted to do the dance as the Beaux wer not in Equity but conceded after trying.

In my days in the Beaux in the 1970s we were filmed in a strange sequence at Waterloo Station called Felini's 6 and 7 Eighths. We got off a comuter train in costume but with bowler hats and umbrellas, changed them for hats and sticks, did a dance, changed back and went into the tube station.

The Beaux of London City will cease to exist in this their 60th year. The last full tour will be in Buckinghamshire on Easter Monday and there will be a couple of pub stops and a social dance/party in Essex on 29th July.

Howard Mitchell

Of course, Staploe Hundred Morris appeared in an episode of Dad's Army and Coton Morris were seen on a news item a couple of years ago, dancing for Prince Charles - don't know if that counts but they did have 2 concertina players in the side at the time, sadly not featured :(

There was also a brief sighting of a team in the first Black Adder, being turned down in favour of ferret jugglers I think. :D

The lack of Morris Dancing in films has always surprised. I have seen the Morris in film about once (twice if you count that Doctor Who episode). Even in "King Ralph" they avoid mentioning Morris in the least, when I would expect them to introduce Ralph to the Morris soon after he botched Cricket.

Is it that most Morris teams are camera shy? Or just generally unfilmable? Or is it that the film industry has an unspoken vendetta against them?

The Two Ronnies always used to do a song and dance number at the end of their TV show. One of their shows featured them doing a spoof Morris dance routine with them singing, surrounded by extras dressed in Morris style clothing. Does anyone remember it? Edited by Chris Drinkwater

The Two Ronnies always used to do a song and dance number at the end of their TV show. One of their shows featured them doing a spoof Morris dance routine with them singing, surrounded by extras dressed in Morris style clothing. Does anyone remember it?

I remember that the pair of them started off with LONG wooden sticks. Each time they passed and clashed sticks, a bit of Ronnie Corbett's stick was lopped off, and each time they met in the circuit, he would take a harder swipe at Ronnie Barker's stick to get revenge, but still ended as the loser. <_< :D :D

John Wild