Suggestions For First English?

After a year or so of playing Anglo I have decided that I would rather be playing an English Concertina.

What are your suggestions for a good starting concertina in this case? I have looked at Stagi's 30 key ones, and have been astonished by there $600+ price tag. I looked at the Jackie and am thinking that is closer to what I am looking for. Anything I should be wary of while I am on this search?

What are your suggestions for a good starting concertina in this case? I have looked at Stagi's 30 key ones, and have been astonished by there $600+ price tag. I looked at the Jackie and am thinking that is closer to what I am looking for. Anything I should be wary of while I am on this search?

Not the FBMM Gus, per chance?

Most folks really like the Morse ECs. If you can't afford that, the Jackie sounds like a perfectly usable instrument at a very low price. If you find yourself stuck in Stagi-ville, be sure to buy it at the Button Box, where they strive to deal with some of the instrument's inadequacies before shipping them.

But I play anglo, so what do I know?

There's another possibility...In the U.S. I have seen playable Lachenal trebles as low as $500 with brass reeds and $800 with steel reeds. Mine is the latter and I have had fun with it...I put an article about this in the Buyer's Guide. There's lots out there (I found more than for anglo). You'll have fun with it, I love them both, can't play either! :lol:

After a year or so of playing Anglo I have decided that I would rather be playing an English Concertina.

What Anglo are you playing now? I assume that it is not one that would give you a good enough resale to afford a nice English? Have you tried contacting the Button Box? I think they might rent their Morse. Also they fairly often have some decent looking lower end Wheatstone and Lachenal Englishes. They will run at least $1500, but unlike the Stagi, in 5 years time they will still likely be worth $1500 (assuming the bottem doesn't drop out of the concertina market).

--

Bill

Ken is quite right, I think, but I also think to find a Lachenal in restored condition with steel reeds and buttons would be hard to find for less than 1200. The Morse is a good choice if can you afford it but the Jackie is a good deal on the low end and is tradable to the Concertina Connection if you decide to move up in their stock,

Okay, thanks. I think I will be going with the Jackie at this point. Seeing, as I said, that a Stagi was a little to pricey for me right now, and I am more insterested in learning how to play then the sound of the instrument at this point.

And Yes, I am FBMM Gus.

Oh, and my Anglo right now is an old 40key Bastari. Unfortunetly it holds some emotional value with my family, which is greater than the monetary resale value.

Edited by Gus Voorhees

"I am more insterested in learning how to play then the sound of the instrument at this point."

Beware, chances are, if you wan't like your Stagi, or Jackie, or Lachenal - you will not play it, will not be able to learn it, and will not play it to your friends. The Sound is God, making him angry draws punishment

[i looked at the Jackie and am thinking that is closer to what I am looking for.

I started with the Jackie last year and whilst I quickly decided that the English concertina was for me and splashed out on a vintage lachenal I still keep the Jackie to use if the Lachenal is in for repair. The Jackie is a great starter instrument and great value for money.

Hope you enjoy playing the English. :)

Gus, I remember you from when you were hanging out backstage at Revels with your family in the late '90's.

I like my Jack baritone, the sound is nice, I only wish my progress in learning it was going better than it is.