Jody In England This Summer

I’m moving this query from http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...opic=3222&st=15 to a new thread.

We are currently trying to organise a trip to the UK for Jody in July 2006. THis will form part of the Concertina Convention at Warwick Folk Festival on the weekend of 21/22/23 July.

However, in order to make it viable for him to come over, we really need to organise some more gigs. These can be other festivals, concerts, workshops, master classes or whatever. Jody is planning on being in the UK between 13 and 25 July.

If anybody has any ideas/suggestions, I or he would be glad to hear from you.

Graham

Graham,

Thanks for inviting me across the pond to participate in the Warwick Concertina Convention. I’m thrilled to be attending. Perhaps I’ll even get a chance to play some double Anglo tunes with Brian Peters!

As for teaching Anglo techniques, strategies, chord and rhythm devices and such, there is nothing I would like better. It’s always a pleasure to share the music I enjoy so much and to help others deepen their understanding and discover untapped potential in the Anglo. If I had the opportunity to sing and play on stage or better yet, in a more intimate club setting, that would also be a pleasure.

Jody

All of this has just been arranged and it's very late to try and find some other UK gigs, but I'm hoping to. I have a quite collection of great solo tunes and songs, original and trad that would please adults, children or both. In addition to concerts, I have been calling family dances (kids and mixed age groups) as a solo for many years. If I could get a few additional engagements I would be able for fly over as early as the 13th. So it's really a narrow window of opportunity for me.

Any suggestions, thoughts, advice, contacts? What's the Warwick Festival like? Ever been?

Jody

Any suggestions, thoughts, advice, contacts? What's the Warwick Festival like? Ever been?

Jody

We went to Warwick a couple of years ago. It's a nice festival with lots of the activities happening around the town. A bit smaller and friendlier than the old Sidmouth was.

Edited by Paul Read

Jody

Jody,

I'm in Derby, some 60 miles from Warwick. I've just had look at local clubs etc. where you might get a gig. Have a look at www.derbyfolk.co.uk for a full list. In particular the Derby Heritage Traditional Music Club meets on the 20th July and is run by noted concertina player and singer Keith Kendrick - he may have an opening http://www.dhtmc.co.uk/index.html ( I'm only a member of the club, not involved with its organisation).

We went to the Warwick Festival for the first time last year and are going again this year. It's a great opportunity to see lots of performers in large and small venues. Nicely compact on a single site with a few events at outlying pubs. I hope to get along to the concertina event.

Howard Mitchell

www.hgmitchell.co.uk

My first time at Warwick was last year, I quite enjoyed it. We chose to camp on site, which was great until the pelting rainstorm Sunday afternoon.

Last year there were no concertina activities, so I'm pleased to hear about this year's plans. Amusingly, the Anglo International CD set was pictured in the event program, but no one I asked about it had any clue what I was talking about.

Thanks for inviting me across the pond to participate in the Warwick Concertina Convention. I’m thrilled to be attending. Perhaps I’ll even get a chance to play some double Anglo tunes with Brian Peters!

Jody

That would be great, Jody, and I hope your trip works out. It won't be easy at this short notice to find gigs, but if I can think of anything I will. I already e-mailed Keith Kendrick to add my support to the idea of a Derby gig, but he did tell me earlier in the year that he was booked through.

Saddleworth Folk Festival runs the week before Warwick. I am booked there but they are a relatively small event with a small budget. I will alert them, though. Also I have friends within Furness Traditions, that usually falls around that time as well.

I don't suppose you call *and* play for dances, do you? You might be able to put together a small scratch band. I can busk dance tunes all night on rhythm guitar!

Brian

That would be great, Jody, and I hope your trip works out. It won't be easy at this short notice to find gigs, but if I can think of anything I will. I already e-mailed Keith Kendrick to add my support to the idea of a Derby gig, but he did tell me earlier in the year that he was booked through.

Saddleworth Folk Festival runs the week before Warwick. I am booked there but they are a relatively small event with a small budget. I will alert them, though. Also I have friends within Furness Traditions, that usually falls around that time as well.

I don't suppose you call *and* play for dances, do you? You might be able to put together a small scratch band. I can busk dance tunes all night on rhythm guitar!

Brian

Brian,

Many thanks to you and Howard. Keith of The Old Darby Gaol just wrote back to me:

"Good to hear from you – fear not, your reputation goes before you…. We were going to have a guest ‘breather’ in July – but you have changed our minds! You are welcome."

So how many pints do you owe him? Or rather, how many do I owe you?

A festival gig the weekend before Warwick is certainly on my wish list.

As for dances... I play them often and would very pleased to play one with you. Do you have a caller in mind or would that be me? I do call and play at the same time, solo, in school classrooms, though it's hard work, it's my bread and butter. Large family and kids dances are great fun too, and I have lead a bunch of those. For adults, mostly I do a few dances at weddings where my band is playing and that's for rank beginners. My rep. runs toward the silly and simple. I don't call full length evenings for adult American contra dancers. That is just too technical for me. I’m not sure what sort of dancing you are talking about, English ceilidh I presume?

Jody

Edited by Jody Kruskal

So how many pints do you owe him? Or rather, how many do I owe you?

Jody,

So glad you got the gig. Derby is about an hour and a half from me, so I might just show up on the night to collect my free pints. Oh no, but then I'd be driving. Darn!

A festival gig the weekend before Warwick is certainly on my wish list.

Probably not within my power to arrange it, but I will blast off a couple of e-mails.

I’m not sure what sort of dancing you are talking about, English ceilidh I presume?

I was wondering about contra, actually - there is growing interest in it over here and I just thought it might be something to make you more attractive to a festival organiser. It was just a thought, really. Personally I certainly wouldn't countenance calling and playing at the same time, even if I knew how to call!

Brian