For Irish Anglo Players: Easy Reels?

Boney

I don't play a lot of Irish music, but I do play a few jigs. I've noticed some seem to fit the layout of the Anglo better than others. I've tried to learn a few reels, and either I've picked ones not easily played on the Anglo, or reels are just generally too fast for my ability right now. The ones I can get through slowly are Drowsy Maggie and Saint Anne's Reel. (Are those actually tricky ones for the more experienced players here?) I'd like to improve my confidence by attacking an easy but well-known (although hopefully not completely cliché) Irish reel that I could play up to speed. Any suggestions? Something I could download a good recording of on eMusic would be a plus.

Try Sally Gardens or the Traveller. They fit pretty nicely into the G row. Don't have a source handy but they're both well-known. {Added later:} Far From Home and Green Fields of America are good bets too.

Daniel

I don't play a lot of Irish music, but I do play a few jigs. I've noticed some seem to fit the layout of the Anglo better than others. I've tried to learn a few reels, and either I've picked ones not easily played on the Anglo, or reels are just generally too fast for my ability right now. The ones I can get through slowly are Drowsy Maggie and Saint Anne's Reel. (Are those actually tricky ones for the more experienced players here?) I'd like to improve my confidence by attacking an easy but well-known (although hopefully not completely cliché) Irish reel that I could play up to speed. Any suggestions? Something I could download a good recording of on eMusic would be a plus.
Edited by Daniel Hersh

... Any suggestions?
A shameless attempt to play smart-Alec (since I can't play the Anglo...), but nevertheless:

"The Heathery Breeze" is a tune I've heard played often by beginners, old and young.

I understand your concern about listening to someone playing it - I don't know about downloadable versions, but here are some album suggestions:

- On "Irish Concertina Styles", various players

- On "The Hidden Note", Jaqueline McCarthy

- On the album "Heathery Breeze", Matt Molloy (concert flute)

/Henrik

Guest Peter Laban
"The Heathery Breeze" is a tune I've heard played often by beginners, old and young.

I understand your concern about listening to someone playing it - I don't know about downloadable versions

/Henrik

My favourite version is that of Mary Haren, playing it in D which I have posted here for your entertainment. Recorded around 1960, played on a two row (german) concertina. Superb reel playing.

The Fermoy Lasses is a fairly easy reel on the anglo

Well, now, funny you should say that... in Em? I have never yet gotten the first part to feel comfortable under my fingers, and I have a hard time playing those repeated E's evenly. Which buttons do you use for G and B in the first couple of measures? Do you play triplets on the E's? (Yes, I'm cruising for some tips for myself here!)

Edit: I was going to suggest Rolling in the Ryegrass, but then I realized I do a finger crossing trick in the first part that took me a while to work out. It might be easier played on the C row though.

Edited by Baxter

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll give a couple of the a quick go, and see how my fingers like them. I've already started a little on the Heather Breeze, I have Jacqueline McCarthy's recording of it, she says it's one of the first tunes she learned. The Mary Haren version is very interesting -- there's quite a bounce to that one, thanks Peter.

You should come and play with us at the BASS session in Alameda. It would get you an idea of the tunes. You are quite talented, and I know you would pick up very quickly. Go to their website to see their core tunes and directions http://www.slowplayers.org/BASS/ . Most of the core tunes (some are reels) I have played easily enough on the anglo. The two easiest are Cup of Tea, and Maid behind the Bar.

You would see a couple of famliar faces, and depending on the Sunday, there are two anglo players that go (myself included, but I'm still trying to get up to speed)

Cheers,

Kiminca

• 2 weeks later...

The Fermoy Lasses is a fairly easy reel on the anglo

Well, now, funny you should say that... in Em? I have never yet gotten the first part to feel comfortable under my fingers, and I have a hard time playing those repeated E's evenly. Which buttons do you use for G and B in the first couple of measures? Do you play triplets on the E's? (Yes, I'm cruising for some tips for myself here!)

Edit: I was going to suggest Rolling in the Ryegrass, but then I realized I do a finger crossing trick in the first part that took me a while to work out. It might be easier played on the C row though.

C row push G and pull B, for the E's I use right hand G row push index cut to the second E, followed by a repeated push E.

Cheers,

Michael