Fs: 48b Treble Ebony-ended Æola

JimLucas

This has been my main instrument for a couple of decades, touched up by Steve Dickinson in 1994-5, and until very recently I hadn't considered selling it. But I need to sell something, and the result of my trying to sell my Lachenal New Model is that I've become increasingly attached to the New Model. That plus the fact that the Æola's reputation is better known tells me that it's the one I should sell on.

It is of course in good tune, A440, with even and excellent action and response. Later today I hope to do some photos and sound files for a web page, but I'm making the announcement now, so people can start thinking about it... and to help prod myself into not delaying. When I have it together, I'll make another post here with a small photo and the URL of the web site.

I'll be happy to answer any questions.

I have now created a web page for this instrument:

post-13-1141147752_thumb.jpg

I'm looking for offers.

I'll be adding to the web page tomorrow, adding internal photos, more sound files, and a bit more descriptive text. (I'll also correct a typo I just noticed.) But the page as it stands is a good start. Have a look... and a listen.

I sometimes have thought that I would have liked to have learned how to play an English concertina instead of an anglo.I am interested in your concertina and have no way to e-mail you without an e-mail address. I have no idea what to offer you. If you could e-mail me and give me some idea on what kind of offer you are looking for. clint_lofgren@hotmail.com

I sometimes have thought that I would have liked to have learned how to play an English concertina instead of an anglo.I am interested in your concertina and have no way to e-mail you without an e-mail address. I have no idea what to offer you. If you could e-mail me and give me some idea on what kind of offer you are looking for. clint_lofgren@hotmail.com

I can and will email Clint privately, but all should know that

... 1) There's an email link on the web page I created for this instrument.

... 2) If you click on my name next to any post by me here on Concertina.net, you get my member page, and one of the options in the right-side menu is to send an email.

Can it be approximately dated it..........other than between 1870 and 1910 ?

Did I forget to put that on the web page? Just as well. I had estimated it wrong, thinking that #24085 was "just before" the first ledger in the Dickinson Archive, which starts with #25000 in 1920. But it's not; it's almost 1000 earlier. From those ledgers I get the following:

#28085 - 1919/09/14

#27085 - 1916/06/23

#26085 - 1914/01/20

#25085 - 1910/08/11

Assuming a similar rate of production prior to 1910, but allowing for variation (did production actually increase during WWI? :unsure:), I would estimate #24085 to have been made in 1906 or 1907, maybe 1905.

I have now updated the web page for this instrument with interior photos of the right end. Left-end interior photos will be added soon, but should look pretty much the same.

I would like to get $3500 (or the equivalent in Danish kroner or other major currency) for this concertina, but I will consider any serious offer.

Feel free to ask other experts whether that's an appropriate price for an Æola of this age and in this condition. (And if they say no, please tell me. I need to know, and I have no desire to cheat anyone.) I emphasize that it currently does not need work, nor should it in the foreseeable future.

I have now updated the web page for this instrument with interior photos of the right end. Left-end interior photos will be added soon, but should look pretty much the same.

I would like to get $3500 (or the equivalent in Danish kroner or other major currency) for this concertina, but I will consider any serious offer.

Feel free to ask other experts whether that's an appropriate price for an Æola of this age and in this condition. (And if they say no, please tell me. I need to know, and I have no desire to cheat anyone.) I emphasize that it currently does not need work, nor should it in the foreseeable future.

Hi Jim,

This looks, and sounds, like an excellent instrument. Guess that it will find a new home very soon. Also, I think that you are being a bit modest about your playing ability!

Regards,

Peter.

I have now added the left side internal shots (except one, which I missed, but it's really no different, and I'll do it by tomorrow). It looks like the additional sound files will wait until morning, as I have to catch a train in a few minutes.

I have now updated the web page for this instrument...

Hi Jim,

This looks, and sounds, like an excellent instrument. Guess that it will find a new home very soon.

Regards,

Peter.

Me, too. If you know anyone who isn't on Concertina.net but might be interested, please point them to the web page. If I don't get a serious offer in the next day or two, I'll have to put it on eBay. Because the New Model didn't sell, time has become tight.

I have once again updated the web page for this instrument, adding sound files with various song accompaniments and more harmony.

I have received a couple of serious offers, and I should be making a decision tomorrow on which to accept. If you've been thinking, but hesitating, don't wait.

(Strange. I posted essentially this message last night. I saw it here after I posted it. But now it seems to have disappeared. Oh well, here it is.)

Your sound files are in stereo, but there's only a signal on one side. This makes listening to them on headphones rather uncomfortable.

Sorry about that. Only one microphone, but the software that encodes the MP3's only seems to be able to create stereo like that. No "mono" option. I will try to figure out how to double it, but that probably won't happen in the next day or two.

My speakers have a "surround sound" button that puts the sound into both ears.