Sore Finger - Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

My name is Jill Shepherd and I am a bit dim at times.

I managed to severely damage my right thumb in the summer by trapping it between a mooring rope and a metal bollard with an 19 tonne narrowboat pulling on the line. It got better eventually and I started playing again after six weeks lay-off (play English so these things matter). It's now pretty much pain-free all of the time. In fact, I mentioned how much better it was to Ellen after Morris practice last night.

So it's bit upsetting to have to tell that this morning (after a very pleasant cup of tea and slice of marmity toast) I rushed out to the car to get to school, shouting at Elly to hurry up and the cats to get back in the house, slung my laptop in, juggled with the bag and threw my BIG tray of marked projects on the back seat; at the same time I pushed the sliding back door shut and ........... trapped my middle right finger in between two doors on the knuckle.

It's painful, it's skinned and it has a horrible bruise on it and it doesn't bend very well any more. It isn't broken but I am feeling very sorry for myself. Please sympathise; it drowns out Elly telling me how thick I am. :(

I couldn't play for two months once because my right index finger and my dog's very hard head tried to occupy the same space at the same time. Hyperflexed, straining the tendons all to hell.

Really, really hard to play anglo in a splint...

Have more tea and toast, it really does help :)

I couldn't play for two months once because my right index finger and my dog's very hard head tried to occupy the same space at the same time. Hyperflexed, straining the tendons all to hell.

Really, really hard to play anglo in a splint...

Have more tea and toast, it really does help :)

And I bet the dog's head was just fine too. Looking forward to the tea and toast but Elly's still laughing and obviously when I feel this sorry for myself I just can't make it myself. Actually, as it's evening here, I was fantasising about some red wine but for the pain killers.....

:o So Jill, Is the car door ok or did it get damaged as well? ;)

With a bad middle finger, you can't easily open the wine yourself anyway and you can hardly expect Elly to do it for you - she might spill it with laughing!

Take the tea and look after yourself, the wine'll be sooo much nicer when nothing hurts and you can hold the glass properly. (sorry, not really laughing :rolleyes: I know how much it hurts)

:o So Jill, Is the car door ok or did it get damaged as well? ;)

With a bad middle finger, you can't easily open the wine yourself anyway and you can hardly expect Elly to do it for you - she might spill it with laughing!

Take the tea and look after yourself, the wine'll be sooo much nicer when nothing hurts and you can hold the glass properly. (sorry, not really laughing :rolleyes: I know how much it hurts)

Thanks Hilary, the car door is fine. Looking at the gap between the two I can't believe I managed to get my finger wedged in at all. The reason Elly is laughing is because she's drunk the wine I think (it was her birthday yesterday so birthday dinner this evening). Seventeen year olds eh? :huh:

...I pushed the sliding back door shut and ........... trapped my middle right finger in between two doors on the knuckle.

Please sympathise;...

Is saying you're not alone a kind of sympathy?

What you did was dumb... very dumb... the sort of dumb thing that we all seem to do now and again. :ph34r: ;)

... Like the hot summer day (before I knew what a concertina was) when I was sitting in the car with the window rolled down and my hand stuck out through the open window, the fingers curled over the top of the frame, holding the door partly open. When my brother came out and jumped into the driver's seat, I pulled the car door shut... without changing my grip. The door latched. :o I said to my brother, "Don't start up, yet," as I reached over with my other hand to open the door and free my fingers.

Oh, Jill, poor you! And with a 17 year old to boot! I have one, too (actually, HER b'day is in 2 weeks- 1989 was a banner year, eh?)

I smashed my middle right finger in the car door when she was 9 and I was dropping her off at her before-school daycare. It still has strange markings under the nail, but it works just fine. I hadn't discovered the concertina yet but the pain was incredible.

I think the red wine has medicinal purposes, don't you? ;)

I recently ordered (...have yet to receive) something called a Neo Bird writing utensil. Here's a link to a page showing it.

I can hardly hold a pen to sign my name or write anything, not because of arthritis particularly (which The Wright Stuff website primarily caters to, I guess), but due to getting very bad skin on my hands that swells, cracks, etc., and can just pulse with pain.

I can manage to play my concertina, usually, though there are days when that hurts quite a bit, too. In fact, I started playing the concertina partly due to this problem, since I couldn't press guitar strings anymore. (And, I prefer my concertina, too.)

I've also ordered a key turner helper, and a buttoning/zippering helper.

I'm still hoping that things will somehow, someday improve.

Anyway, the 'Neo Bird' looks pretty cool. I'll probably wear it around my neck when I get it, so I'll never have to struggle with a pen anymore! (I still have some some room around my neck....even though I always wear a magnifying glass, too!! :blink:)

(edited a typo.)

Edited by bellowbelle

You have my sympathy. I broke my index finger playing football and couldn't play for 6 weeks. Try the tin whistle - you can play it with straight fingers. I'm sure red wine is great, but whiskey is even better. If in doubt try both.

For the record, Jill was playing well last night.

We've mentioned elsewhere that we both play for the band of Mr Wilkins Shilling womens North West morris side, and last night was an important gig for us. The side was dancing at a ceilidh in Bath where the band was the totally wonderful Old Swan Band. When the possibility of doing the booking had been mooted one practice all the musicians started bouncing up and down and hooting with joy, and by such means managed to persuade the dancers (who for some reason were a little reluctant) that this was a gig we must do. As a band, we really do like Old Swan.

Well, now you can see why Jill felt so despondent. She was afraid she wouldn't be able to play last night. But she did and all was well (and Elly danced her socks off too).

Chris

For the record, Jill was playing well last night.

We've mentioned elsewhere that we both play for the band of Mr Wilkins Shilling womens North West morris side, and last night was an important gig for us. The side was dancing at a ceilidh in Bath where the band was the totally wonderful Old Swan Band. When the possibility of doing the booking had been mooted one practice all the musicians started bouncing up and down and hooting with joy, and by such means managed to persuade the dancers (who for some reason were a little reluctant) that this was a gig we must do. As a band, we really do like Old Swan.

Well, now you can see why Jill felt so despondent. She was afraid she wouldn't be able to play last night. But she did and all was well (and Elly danced her socks off too).

Chris

I did, I did! Finger is returning to normal size and I can flex it now. Elly, on the other hand (ho, ho, ho) appears to be dead this morning even after good prodding!

J

PS I'll try singing to her next - that should work!

Edited by Wrigglefingers

Yay for Jill! and for Chris and Elly, too! What an exciting gig!

Where in Bath did it take place? My daughter and I spend a day in Bath last summer (right in the middle of the Sidmouth Festival so we didn't get to meet any of you). I'm picturing it right now. Of course, it was sunny and warm than, probably not quite the same picture as today!

Contratulations, Jill!

Where in Bath did it take place? My daughter and I spend a day in Bath last summer (right in the middle of the Sidmouth Festival so we didn't get to meet any of you). I'm picturing it right now. Of course, it was sunny and warm than, probably not quite the same picture as today!

You wouldn't know it, I'm afraid. The ceilidh was at the Sulis Club, a sort of up market working mens club on the outskirts of Bath near Brassknocker Hill. The weather at the time of the event was sub-zero (centigrade) - bit warmer in doors, mind.

The Bath ceilidhs happen once a month at that venue, and they are pretty good dos in the main.

Chris

Hooray for Jill's healed finger and the successful gig!

Yes, Jill, the dog's head survived the encounter with my finger much better than my finger did. I think the worst part was trying to explain to the doctor what happened. I am reminded of a quote I saw on a doglover's website last week:

"Of all the things my dog has destroyed, I miss my dignity the most."