Scales And Keys

Captain Mike

I'm a REAL beginner. I have a 30 button Ango (Stagi) and need some very basic information.

1. What keys can I play with this concertina (besides C and G)?

2. When I practice scales should I go from C to C for example or A to F or what ever. What's really beneficial for me to work on as a beginner?

3. For keys that I can play is there an easy way to transpose the music to something I can play.

Thanks. As I said I'm just getting started and am really enjoying it. I just want to spend my practice time beneficially.

Well, Cap'n, I'm a believer in playing scales. They got me going on concertina, so you can see where I am musically I guess. I got C, G, and D pretty quickly, and am progressing (after all these years) on A, F, and even a little Bb, E, and Db! A 30-key anglo has enough possibilities to keep you going for awhile. One key is a source of tunes that appeal to you so you'll learn them (whatever is your particular genre of choice).

I'll let everyone else chime in with our standard advice about books, etc.

And the next question: Where are you located?

OK, and I see you've added your location to your profile. Someone from around there may chime in.

My fiddle teacher (I'm taking beginner lessons) always has me practice scales through the full range of the violin (well, in first position, anyway) for whatever key, e.g. D major from the bottom G up to the high B.

If you're wondering which of several buttons to use for particular notes, you've discovered that there are multiple ways to finger the common scales on anglo. The tutors and teachers vary on these, but the standard advice is, for the first days or weeks start with one way consistently. My friends here will give you tons of possibilities. Which one to choose? There's no one right way (if you ask me); if you play other instruments you know that's often the case.

Have fun, I have.

I'm a REAL beginner. I have a 30 button Ango (Stagi) and need some very basic information.

1. What keys can I play with this concertina (besides C and G)?

Mike

You could have a look at this thread on the C.Net forum. As far as I know a 30b Stagi has the same button lay-out as my concertina (the Wheatstone lay-out), so you could use the shown finger patterns.

In fact you can play in any key, but the keys of C and G are the most natural on a C/G concertina.

2. When I practice scales should I go from C to C for example or A to F or what ever. What's really beneficial for me to work on as a beginner?

When practicing the scale of C, I should start with a C, etc.

3. For keys that I can play is there an easy way to transpose the music to something I can play.
There is software you can use to transpose tunes. I myself use the so called ABC notation. You can read more about it at:

http://staffweb.cms.gre.ac.uk/~c.walshaw/abc/.

Have fun

"You could have a look at this thread on the C.Net forum. As far as I know a 30b Stagi has the same button lay-out as my concertina (the Wheatstone lay-out), so you could use the shown finger patterns.

In fact you can play in any key, but the keys of C and G are the most natural on a C/G concertina."

Henk, I think the animation you developed to practice scales is really useful. However, I am not familiar with the notation you use in Part 2. What do the suffixes mean in these examples: Cis, Bes, Es? I could not find any reference to them on the internet or in the few music books I have.

Henk, I think the animation you developed to practice scales is really useful. However, I am not familiar with the notation you use in Part 2. What do the suffixes mean in these examples: Cis, Bes, Es? I could not find any reference to them on the internet or in the few music books I have.

Cary

I'm not sure what you mean with the suffixes. Maybe it's a language difference (?) Anyway Cis maj is the the major scale starting with C# (C sharp). In the same way Bes is B flat (Bb) and Es is E flat (Eb).

I hope that I've answered your question. When not, let me know.

Henk

...I am not familiar with the notation you use in Part 2. What do the suffixes mean in these examples: Cis, Bes, Es?
I'm not sure what you mean with the suffixes. Maybe it's a language difference (?) ....

It's a difference in the "language" used to refer to the notes. It's a notation that's common in continental Europe but not normally taught in the US. Basically, "-es" means "flat" (b ) and "-is" means "sharp" (#), hence Cis=C#=Db=Des. (Eb is just Es, rather than Ees. :))

Another bit of "un-American" terminology is that Europeans commonly use B to mean what we call Bb, and H to mean what we call B (natural).

Edited by JimLucas

Try to make scales musical rather than mechanical. Some slow, some quick, some legato, some staccato, etc.

But the main point I would like to make is that the scale on the middle row, right hand, will be used a lot and it is valuable to focus on the last few ascending notes where the fingering 'turns' back on itself to finish on the fourth button rather than the fifth. Then to extend that scale upwards on the lower row as the move between rows when extending beyond the tonic of the middle row can also be tricky. This is particulalrly useful to get into subconsious memory when trying to follow new tunes instantly, such as in a session.

First I want to thank everyone for their input. I've started practicing scales and it is amazing how it has helped. I've moved from really terrible to just terrible. One more question. I'm trying to get better at reading music. Would it be worth while to have the scales in different keys written out on a music staff so as I practice I could try to train my eyes and fingers at the same time? If this is a good idea has anyone already written this out or do I start from scratch?

Thanks again for your help and ideas.

Captain Mike: I am a beginning player too. I had the same idea that seeing the scales on a staff as I practice would be helpful in developing into a better sight reader. It seems to be working too. I just went ahead and got some blank staff paper and made my notations to follow as I practice. The practice of writing my own scales was a good learning experience in itself as I don't have a musical background. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

:rolleyes: Again thanks for all the ideas and encouragement. I down loaded "Tutor for the Chromatic Anglo Concertina" from concertina.com. This book was written about the time I was born but it has some very good exercises. As I've worked through the exercises and (of course) practice I've notices my skills improve.

Anyway it is definitely worth looking at.

It's a difference in the "language" used to refer to the notes. It's a notation that's common in continental Europe but not normally taught in the US. Basically, "-es" means "flat" (b ) and "-is" means "sharp" (#), hence Cis=C#=Db=Des. (Eb is just Es, rather than Ees. :))

Another bit of "un-American" terminology is that Europeans commonly use B to mean what we call Bb, and H to mean what we call B (natural).

But note that Britain follows the same conventions as the US. ie. In this respect at least, we are not counted as part of continental Europe.

I'm sure you knew this JIm, but I thought I'd put it explicity in case others didn't.

Clive

Providing you have a 20 plus key, there is much to be said for finding the F#s and practising G scales on the C row - it gives tunes a totally different timbre.

For me, chromatic scales were the best way to find out where the accidentals were, then I migrated to D scales and I am currently trying to get around scales in one bellows direction.

Henk,

I think your animations are really wonderful - it would be great if you could make them available "off line" so to speak.

best wishes,

Peter

Thanks Peter for your kind words. I'm not sure which animations you mean:

without sound or

with sound and staff

Anyway.. most stuff that is published on the internet can be downloaded. Just right-click and use the "save as" option.

When I have more time in future I plan to do more with these kind of animations and maybe someday it will become available on CD :unsure: :unsure: