Good Tune For Beginners

I have always found it hard to learn an instrument by practicing the simple pieces at the beginning of tutors. Either I don't know the tune already, or it's really boring. But yesterday I discovered the music online for a song of Ian Robb's that I really like, "Song for the New Year," so have started trying to follow the written music. If any other beginners are interested, the score can be found here.

Ian Robb recorded this song on a cassette "Rose and Crown" back in 1985, and unfortunately it hasn't been re-issued on CD yet. The full info on the cassette is here. It's a beautiful song, and -- it's in the key of C, which only navigates eight notes in all, beginning from the lowest note on the treble English concertina, which seems pretty easy. No sharps or flats!

I think this is one of Ian's nicest songs, and I hope it comes out in CD sometime soon!! Also on this cassette is "The Old Rose and Crown," which is another winner.

Also on this cassette is "The Old Rose and Crown," which is another winner.

What have they done to the old Rose and Crown

To The Ship, The King's Arms and The World Upside Down

Agee there. It's what I call a lightbulb song (from the old joke about the number of folkies required to change a lightbulb). But unlike many others of the breed, which mourn the passing of slightly odd things like drovers, the destruction of the English pub is proceeding around us right now, and it does make me cross!

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

the destruction of the English pub is proceeding around us right now, and it does make me cross! -- Chris

I was kind of shocked when I noticed specially featured displays of Budweiser in small village pubs in Sussex, as early as ten years ago. People were buying bottles of the stuff for big bucks in lieu of the local brew, which I just couldn't understand.

Thanks for the notes, Barbara- that's such a great song! What's the URL? My computer just pulls it up with no source...

weird!

http://cfmb.icaap.org/content/24.4/BV24-4art3.pdf

See if this works, just cut and paste! "Song for the New Year" -- Ian Robb

Happy Solstice, everyone, in just a few hours from now!

Also on this cassette is "The Old Rose and Crown," which is another winner.

What have they done to the old Rose and Crown

To The Ship, The King's Arms and The World Upside Down

I like Jamie Beaton's parody for morris dancers:

What have they done to the simple half round

The foot-up, the whole-hey that old Cecil wrote down?...

of slightly odd things like drovers

hmmmm - a comment probably best made a long way from western Queensland.

The bloke with the big hat mightn't like being called "slightly odd"!!

I know a few Montanans with big hats and crusted boots who might not like being called odd, either. Even though they are!!