Pictures Of My Concertina

Susanne

Ok, folks, finally I've come up with some pictures of my concertina that I found used about a month ago. If anyone has any clue about what maker it could be, please let me know!!! Now these pics are not too good but at least you can see something. We'll take pictures with a better camera later.

Susi's homepage - the music page

Sorry folks, but I did a mistake while editing my website and deleted the whole thing... :ph34r: :angry: So now I'll have start all over again and build it up again...Well, I had planned to change to another server anyway... ;)

Meanwhile check them out at Ennistraveler's pics and go to the music folder.

Edited by Susanne

Well, I got to see and hear your concertina until I lost the link.

I'd guess it is a Lachenal extended treble. The bellows papers were a bit unusual as was the 6? folds.

From the sound I'd say you have a very servicable instrument for quite awhile.

Congratulations and good luck!

Greg

(contiued editting for spelling!)

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

I agree with Greg. Very funky denim thumb straps :P .

Fortunately I checked out your website at work before it went dark and enjoyed your music cuts. My favorite was the St. Anne's Reel on mandolin...very classy.

Edited by Mark Evans

Yeah, the original thumb straps were in pieces and couldn't be fixed, so I had to make some new ones. The most firm fabric I could use would be denim and it looks pretty cool too....unofrtunately I only had stretch denim so they need to be replaced soon again. But not until I get a functioning screw driver of that size! I worked like crazy to have those little screws come off.

By the way, thanks for your compliment on my St Anne's reel. It's a quite new recording, just a few days ago. I'm going to make more recordings soon. I'm going to start working on a new website soon too, this one was actually just a temporary thing as I wanted to build more than just a music page like that, but I never had time or inpsiration to start working on it.

Lachenal? How do you see that?

I'd guess it is a Lachenal extended treble.

I'm betting a Wheatstone, from 1896. ;)

If Jim is correct (and he usually is) that would be very cool indeed. The fret work didn't look like a Wheatstone to me.

By the by, the sound quality of the mandolin recording was very good. I could really hear the wood of your instrument. What is it?

Edit: I've just checked out your music pictures and see what you have for "mandolini" a Gold Tone F model and I assume a Gold Tone A. Their banjos certainly are well regarded. It makes sense the mandolin would be of a similar quality. I'm not suprised about the F model for it had the tpyical "chop" or as I like to call it "bark". Don't know if it is a solid or laminate spruce top, but it sho' nuff' gots the sound.

Edited by Mark Evans

I'd guess it is a Lachenal extended treble.

I'm betting a Wheatstone, from 1896. ;)

If Jim is correct (and he usually is) that would be very cool indeed. The fret work didn't look like a Wheatstone to me.

By the by, the sound quality of the mandolin recording was very good. I could really hear the wood of your instrument. What is it?

Edit: I've just checked out your music pictures and see what you have for "mandolini" a Gold Tone F model and I assume a Gold Tone A. Their banjos certainly are well regarded. It makes sense the mandolin would be of a similar quality. I'm not suprised about the F model for it had the tpyical "chop" or as I like to call it "bark". Don't know if it is a solid or laminate spruce top, but it sho' nuff' gots the sound.

Thanks a lot for your compliments! It's very funny because I just had a wild discussion on the mandolin forum about Asian made mandolins (Gold Tone buys parts that are made in Korea or China), I was pretty upset because of the generalizing of Asian instruments that they're all bad crap, at least mandolins (that's all I know anything about) have been developed a lot since the 80's and now an Asian mandolin can be a great instrument (not all but many of them).

Anyhow, to answer your question, yes, I have a Gold Tone GM-70, it's my newest mandolin and my first F-style. It has a wonderful sound and is very easy to play, I'm really satisfied with it. Gold Tone has a pretty good reputation I think. They also make banjos (as you mentioned) and mandolas.

My A style mandolin is a Washburn. It's a good one for that low price but there's not as much attitude in the tone as the F-style has. I guess all my instruments (except my German fiddle and probably the concertina) are pretty low quality instruments compared to others but I'm satisfied with them.

You can read more about the F-style mandolin here.

I'm getting really excited about what you think about my concertina, if it's a Wheatstone or Lachenal it should be worth quite a lot I guess. I'll have to open it up to see the serial number.

Edited by Susanne

I'm getting really excited about what you think about my concertina, if it's a Wheatstone or Lachenal it should be worth quite a lot I guess. I'll have to open it up to see the serial number.

Don't risk damaging your concertina with inappropriate tools; get a set of what are known in the US as "jeweler's screwdrivers". They're commonly avaiable in sets of several sizes, all small. One size should be just right for the end bolts; the next size smaller is probably right for the thumbstrap screws.

...I just had a wild discussion on the mandolin forum about Asian made mandolins (Gold Tone buys parts that are made in Korea or China), I was pretty upset because of the generalizing of Asian instruments that they're all bad crap...

Well, there is a bit of bigotry about aisan instruments in bluegrass circles, unfounded. Kentucky is another brand that is made in Korea. A fella in one of the bands I play in has a F-model with a solid top. That thing will part your hair our kiss your cheek. A great mandolin by any estimation.

As far as Gold Tone goes, they more than proved their metal with the Bluegrass Band recordings I, II and III.

J. D. Crow showed up for the first session in 78' only to discover that his pre-war Gibson Granada's neck had been snapped in flight. He was given a Gold Tone. The tone was excellent and Tony Rice insisted that J.D. use that same Gold Tone for all three recordings. A whole generation of banjo players have grown up listening to these recordings thinking J.D. was playing his $30,000 + Granada when in fact he was playing a $500 Gold Tone.:D

There are some very fine American made F style mandolins and most at entry level prices would get you in striking distance of a mint Jefferies. Vintage concertinas are still the best deal goin' by that marker.

Can't wait to see the end of the mystery concerning your concertina. Open er' up ;) !

Edited by Mark Evans

There are some very fine American made F style mandolins made and most at entry level prices would get you in striking distance of a mint Jefferies. Vintage concertinas are still the best deal goin' by that marker.

THis is absolutely true. Good vintage Martin guitars going for over 100k. I have a friend who had a Loar mando that must have been worth nearly that much.

And let's not even get into the issue of good, old violins.

Jeffries seem expensive, but they're a wild bargain when compared to some other vintage instruments.

Speaking of Asian mandos, I play a Johnson resonator in a jug band, and it's really sweet. I got it for the funky biscuit bridge resonator sound, but have found that when played quietly it has a lovely mandolin tone. Go figure. A vintage National or even Regal would have cost 5 to 7 times what I paid for the Cinese box.