Jimmy Webb And Concertina

Was listening to a Jimmy Webb interview on the radio today, recorded in Australia about six months ago. In passing he mentioned his favourite instruments were mandolin and concertina, and you could hear concertina in a song about his wife on his most recent CD...

Chris

I looked on Google. It seems he's a Country and Western singer. It's not clear whether he's American or British.

American. Born in Oklahoma, this biography says. And even better known as a songwriter than as a singer.

His own website doesn't seem to say where he was born, but I guess it tells the things he considers important.

I've always known him as Jim Webb, and his 'Time I get to Phoenix' is a classic that many of you will know. His own version is raw and moving; some copies have been a bit too sweet. He's a great writer.

Funnily enough this was a song which Bob Davenport and I recorded for Anglo International and is a regular slot in our current playlist. We run it into 'Sitting on the Dock of the Bay'! It didn't make the cut for the CDs.

Best wishes

Roger

P.S. Is it just me..... or are there a lot of interesting things happening with concertinas at the moment?

R.

Who is Jimmy Webb?

My apologies for assuming people would know who he is... If you ever listened to the radio in the era when Glen Campbell was recording you would know a lot of the songs he wrote. Wichita Linesman, Galveston, By the Time I got to Phoenix etc. Also associated with songs by Willlie Nelson, Kris Kristopherson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash aka the Highwaymen. Mellow full-voiced romantic songs, very popular with women. Sometimes described as "Country music's Gerschwin", hence the surprise at his attachment to concertinas...

Chris