Anyone Know These Polkas?

lildogturpy

I've just transcribed a couple of Polkas from a CD by Timmy "The Brit" McCarthy: Movin' On. The last track has a set of three, with the middle one being the Maid of Ardagh. Can anyone furnish a name for the other two polkas? I've put them in the Tune-o-tron just called Unknown Polka for now.

Unknown Polka #1

Unknown Polka #2

(edited to add blue clickes)

Edited by lildogturpy

I've just transcribed a couple of Polkas from a CD by Timmy "The Brit" McCarthy: Movin' On. The last track has a set of three, with the middle one being the Maid of Ardagh. Can anyone furnish a name for the other two polkas? I've put them in the Tune-o-tron just called Unknown Polka for now.

Unknown Polka #1

Unknown Polka #2

(edited to add blue clickes)

Hi, Robin -

#1 certainly sounded familiar, I played it years back, but I am hopeless with polka names. Pasting the ABC into "Search" on TheSession.org triggered a lot of suggestions, among them "Sweeney's". That rang a bell - that's the one.

/Henrik

English Concertina in Sweden

The first tune is on a Chieftans LP

The second sounds very Swedish with its timing a style,which is why you like it Henrik.Sorry I cannot give you the names.If you really get stuck I can fish out my old albums and find the first one. I bet Jim knows the second one.

Al

The first tune is on a Chieftans LP

The second sounds very Swedish with its timing a style,which is why you like it Henrik.Sorry I cannot give you the names.If you really get stuck I can fish out my old albums and find the first one. I bet Jim knows the second one.

Al

Sorry, but it is the second one that confuses me. Grrr! Got to find it now!

The first is track 13 (Sweeney's) on Chieftains 2 - thanks for adding that pointer, Alan, that was the "picture" I had in my mind.

/Henrik

The other one might (only might) be Dennis Murphy's Polka. The version I have is noted in the key of A, and it is not a straight transposition, but it is similar.

I originally wrote them down as 'Kerry Polkas', and the individual names came later, so I could be wrong.

- John Wild

Edited by John Wild