Any advice for a trip to Doolin, Ireland

Hello,

Next week I’ll be in Doolin with a group of 7 academics. During the daytime, we'll of course be on the prowl for interesting things to do around Doolin (beyond the obvious Cliffs of Moher and the Burren). But, I’m a new-ish concertina player, so in the evenings music is the number one priority for me. I’d be particularly interested in any pointers folks here might have to sessions that might be more distinctively local than what I suspect is on offer to the typical tourist (like me, I suppose) in the main pubs. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

On 3/13/2024 at 3:52 PM, John, Wexford said:

Charles Monod runs a podcast at this website "Tunes From Doolin . com " (no spaces).

It might be worth contacting him in advance of your visit.

Charles also has a cd, Aughavinna,  and is currently in the process of setting up a website dedicated to the Russells.He had a big interview in the Clare Champion last week:

https://clarechampion.ie/sharing-the-spirit-of-the-russells-of-doolin/

He also gigs regularly on Thursday nights at the hotel:

march_-_fitz_pub.jpg

Going to Doolin you will probably have to accept the place is fully geared towards the tourist and you  best take it  as you find it and perhaps even enjoy it for what it is.  If you don't fancy the pubs or the hotel there are things like Christy Barry's Music House : https://www.doolinmusichouse.com/

Edited by Peter Laban
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was travelling around Ireland a year ago last October with a mid-west traditional Irish group.  We were in a lot of pubs but my favorite evening was at McGanns in Doolin.  The place was packed and I filled in during the band's breaks singing and playingf an EC.