Problems with long fingers

latzenpratz

It looks like you are playing an Italian concertina? Some of them (such as the last one I owned) have the buttons quite close to the wood handles. Have you tried any other makes of anglo concertina to see if they fit you better?

Welcome to concertina.net!

Ken

• Like 1

This a Hohner international D30/60/8L (with accordeon blocks). I got it for 18€...

I'm waiting for my Wren to arrive. Let's see if it will be better for my hands.

Thanks!

Randy

If you measure "across the flats," how wide is your concertina?

image.png.5496d530b71caf542b1e4847b2d5f7ba.png

And can you loosen the straps? Ideally they'd run across the backs of your hands, and that would give you room to arch your hands and curve your fingers more. 

That is similar model to my own concertina, and I have no problem with reach being too close. My hands are used to layout ( 25 years of use now) I am, however known for using very loose strap .. in fact I put all my fingers inside strap! My own way but works for me. Mine was sold under Hohner brand back in 1999. I do no know if I have' long,' fingers so much as supple hands with being involved in art and design for nearly all my life.

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW
  • Like 1

Hi Latzenpratz,

Here's a tip I got from con.net years ago that works for me.

As an anglo player with long fingers I use foam pipe insulation (cheap, comfortable, easy to cut etc).

Just cut one piece the length of your handset.  Then split it lengthways (like a bun for a hot dog).

Put one on each handset.  Then adjust your straps as you need.  (You may need to lengthen yours with cord, leather strip, string or whatever.)

If they feel good then put a bit of double sided tape between foam and handrest.

(Personally, my middle fingers are long but my fifth fingers are not, so I slope my foam pieces to give the full thickness at the thumb end, and very little thickness at the little finger end.  This foam is very easy to work with, and so cheap that you can try different styles.  Surprisingly long-lasting, though.)

Hope this is helpful.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, March Hare said:

Hi Latzenpratz,

Here's a tip I got from con.net years ago that works for me.

(Personally, my middle fingers are long but my fifth fingers are not, so I slope my foam pieces to give the full thickness at the thumb end, and very little thickness at the little finger end.  This foam is very easy to work with, and so cheap that you can try different styles.  Surprisingly long-lasting, though.)

I don't split them in half; I use about 3/4 of the tube. I originally had them higher at the thumb end, but now use them other way, as that raises my short fifth finger and lets it reach the standard-spaced buttons on the concertinas I play now. Experiment and find what works for you.

Here's one version of how to do it (he says with false modesty). I did this for a rather different reason than too-long fingers. I now flip them from the way they are shown in the photos (wide end at bottom).

Ken

Thank you Ken - I have been using your brilliant idea since I read your article in 2000 - so that is a quarter of a century.  

I had some more lessons recently and changed my LH chord playing, so the shape of the foam was altered to suit and the straps adjusted.  It's a gift that keeps on giving.

For a touch of luxury I sometimes cover the foam with thin, soft black leather.  

What a great forum for sharing ideas.

This is such a great idea and timely too.

I just received my Lachenal B20 (my first concertina). I have large hands and I’m so happy to see this. I had thought about trying to raise the height of the handset but really didn’t care for having to modify the existing handset. 

I’ll still need to make some new straps as I can’t even fit my hands into the ones on it now. 

cheers,

paula