Suggestions - How I can prepare/practice while waiting for new concertina

SMary

Very excited to be on Dana's wait list for a new c/g Kensington. I am new to the concertina (currently play fiddle). Looking for suggestions how I can start getting ready to play. I have been listening more to some favorite players.  Printed out the lovely Kensington layout.  I plan to join Caitlin's concertina course. Perhaps the best suggestion is just be patient 😄 

While I was waiting for my Edgley to arrive I spent the time memorising the Jeffries button layout, playing around with  the Concertina XL app (and driving everyone in the house demented!), and watching videos - OAIM has some free introductory lesson vids up on YouTube and I also watched some of the Caitlín vids in her Beginner course to familiarise myself with them in preparation of having a concertina in my hands to actually sit down and learn those tunes. I had already played tenor banjo for years and was familiar with all the tunes already which also helped. Congratulations on soon being a Kensington owner, what a lovely instrument to be starting out with!

A Kensington, that's exciting! My wild guess though is there's a wait list of 4-6 months. If that's the case and you have the means, then my thought would be to get a starter concertina now, today. Something like a Stagi, Rochelle2 or, Wren. That way you have a real insrument to hold and work with. You can sell it once you get the Kensington, or maybe not.

As far as the differences in keyboard layout, I don't think starting with a Lachenal layout and then moving to the Kensington layout will be much of an issue. For me anyway, going from Lachenal to Jefferies hasn't been. But then, I'm working with Coover's Easy Anglo 1-2-3 tutor and not familiar with Caitlin's course work.

This is coming from a beginner concertina player with no real meaningful previous experience with other instruments. I started 2 months ago in mid December with a Stagi CG and a Lachenal layout. About a month ago upgraded to a Morse Ceili CG, but with a Jefferies layout. I found the Stagi difficult and tiring to play, but it got me started and showed it was something I enjoy doing. There's a world of difference between the playabilty of the Morse and Stagi, as there will be with the Kensington, but it surprised me to find that since practicing and playing the Ceili, I find the Stagi more enjoyable. It  now stays close to my bed and I often pick it up to play for a bit before turning off the light and going to sleep.

I'm already thinking about a concertina with traditional reeds and the Kensington would be my choice. So lucky you to starting out with one!

digger

Thank you so much for the great suggestions! I have been socking away funds for quite some time, while deciding which way to go with a concertina. I am truly tempted to go with a starter while waiting, but a session mate just this past week brought over their concertina to start me out with some basics. Can honestly say it made me that more excited to start this journey. So curious to see how playing concertina will compare to fiddle. 

• Like 1

Keep your fingers moving! Drumming the finger tips as quickly as you can and individually. Also some stretching exercises to improve yor span. (It might not actually increase your span, but will make reaching it more comfortable).

A very basic approach is to print off onto paper a concertina keyboard actual size. Then you can try out finger positions.. Without the  need to be online or plugged in at all 

Laminate the diagram.  And you could then even practice whilst on bath or shower😊😊😊