Cleaning Vedigris

:( I have an Edeophone I bought recently but the thumb straps have turned green in places what is the best way to clean this off I was thinking of soaking them white spirit,any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
:( I have an Edeophone I bought recently but the thumb straps have turned green in places what is the best way to clean this off I was thinking of soaking them white spirit,any ideas?

Is this the metalwork or the leather?

Dave

Hello Dave ,its not been played for 25 years or more and the verdigris is on the metal ,I have scraped a lot of it off but was worried I could remove the paint on the hinge where the name Lachenal and co is if I use something to strong,thanks

Verdigris would suggest the metal has a copper cpntent, i.e. brass. I'd try a household brass cleaner (e.g. "Brasso") for gentle removal. The thought that you have scraped it makes me shudder!

Hello cream t ,when I say scrape ,I used a small bit of wood to remove the excess which was considerable,it belonged to a coalminer and by the smell of it he took it to work with him,thanks I will try the brasso,bazza

Another good tool for this kind of cleaning is the kind of brush used for cleaning suede shoes. Its bristles are made of brass wire. Its probably less aggressive than the fibreglass pen and more suitable if there is a plated or polished surface to preserve.