G/D Anglo wanted - 30-button preferred but 26-button acceptable...

Roger Hare

One of my partners in crime at t'Morris is looking for a used G/D Anglo to complement his current instrument (a 30-button C/G Crabb from the 1960s).

Ideally, he is looking for a 30-button, but a 26- button is acceptable. Ideally he is looking for a vintage instrument, but a qood-quality hybrid would be acceptable. I don't think a new instrument is on the cards (because of the waiting lists...)

I think he would prefer to restrict any transaction to U.K./Europe.

If anyone has one to offer, please let me have your contact information and I will pass it on.

He has been told by at least one dealer that 'we don't do G/D instruments any more' (or words to that effect), which I personally find a little worrying...

Edited by Roger Hare
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Hare said:

He has been told by at least one dealer that 'we don't do G/D instruments any more' (or words to that effect), which I personally find a little worrying...

Do you mean a maker who has stopped producing new G/Ds or a dealer who doesn't trade in second hand G/Ds? Either way doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe they are buying their reeds in from a third party that has a minimum order quantity or something.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alex_holden said:

Do you mean a maker who has stopped producing new G/Ds or a dealer who doesn't trade in second hand G/Ds? Either way doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe they are buying their reeds in from a third party that has a minimum order quantity or something.

Well now, I wasn't altogether sure myself. I do know that he has looked at some new 'hybrids', and found that they were only available in C/G. I know that he has also spoken with a dealer who was a bit downbeat about the likelihood of finding a vintage G/D any time soon.

It may be he has been on the receiving end of both disappointing responses.

I am in full agreement with your comment "Either way doesn't make much sense to me" if only because in the context of our conversation, we were talking about both vintage and new instruments...

I have done two things:

1) trailed here for prospective vendors (I have received two responses in double-quick time and have passed on contact details)

2) alerted him to the existence of makers of 'hybrid' instruments who will undertake the supply of a G/D instrument

I'm getting good at this - this is the 3rd time I have acted as an 'honest broker' (he said, modestly) in setting up private sales like this. Maybe I should start charging a commission fee...🙂

Edited by Roger Hare

I've just PM-ed you as well.

I know Andrew Norman, Marcus and Edward Jay will all make new G/D hybrid instruments. However if he had asked any of the Irish makers then they are focused on C/G only.

Also Barleycorn currently have a number of G/D vintage instruments in stock.

Not sure who your friend has been speaking to!!

I noticed an Ab/Eb Jeffries 26 button Jeffries Bros on Barleycorn (Chris Algar) website  Possibly could be taken back to G/D and would be fairly light and lively, being a 26 button, as well as being definitely loud enough for morris. Just a thought......

Thanks so much for all the responses! I've forwarded contact details, etc. for all respondents to Frank. I think though, that some of the instruments on offer may be over his price ceilng...

Both Frank and myself are blown away by the number of responses - the power of concertina.net, eh?

• 1 month later...

Hi Roger

I also have one for sale for £2000 ono. (can send more photos)

What sort of price is he looking to pay, I'm open to negociation !

I live in France but come over to UK regularly so could bring it.

All the best

Rachel

20210916_105722.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rache said:

Hi Roger

I also have one for sale for £2000 ono. (can send more photos)

What sort of price is he looking to pay, I'm open to negociation !

I live in France but come over to UK regularly so could bring it.

Thank you for the continuing interest.

However, unfortunately my pal has suddenly been hit with a large (~£10k) bill for repairs to the property he lives in, so he's had to shelve any idea of purchasing a G/D for the time being...