Best tool for reed adjustments

I recently had an out of place reed that was an easy fix but I had to use a metal screw driver and I thought there must be a better tool as the metal might damage the reed.

Any suggestions for what I should use?

If you are trying to push the tongue back in alignment, you can use a light table to check alignment and a folded piece of paper or folded metal shim. Slip the tongue inside the folded material and gently pull it to the side to realign it.  Go easy on the force used until you get a better feel for it. It will probably take a few tries to get it correct. Also it might look aligned outside of the pan but when reinstalled it could be pushed to one side or the other due to pressure exerted on the frame by the wood (assuming vintage concertina construction and not accordion reed). You might need to remove the valve from the underside of the note to check clearances on the light table with the note in the pan.  You could possibly tuck the valve out of the way but will likely impair the valve somewhat if you do this. 

• Like 3

A feeler gauge of around 6-8 thou is a good tool.  Around here there are two types of feeler gauge, parallel with a rounded end and tapered with a round end. The tapered ones are best. 

• Like 1